16. An Army Marching

Chapter 16

An Army Marching

-
Soundtrack: None
-

[Jack's POV]

Ever since the race, a kind of fear had filled me. I didn't understand it. I'd done what I had wanted, ___ was here... but I knew that deep down, what I wanted had changed in the short time I'd spent with her. I'd led an innocent person to what would likely be her death.

When Orvask had first spoken to me after our arrival, he could tell something was up. Without thinking, I'd revealed that I felt differently on the matter than before... and Orvask had locked me in a cold room with no sunlight, no comfort, and no thanks for what I'd done for him.

I scowled at the stone walls, which silently surrounded me with stone. What was I supposed to do? I didn't expect something like this to happen. To actually like her. She had a good heart, and I'd shattered it. I closed my eyes, feeling the burning of tears behind my eyelids as they threatened to fall.

Loathing for myself and for Orvask filled me. I'd never even thought about what would become of her. I'd thought only of myself, and ___ was going to suffer for it.

Without warning, the metal door crashed open forcefully. Orvask stood in the doorway, glaring at me. I stood up defiantly. This had to stop. Even with my newfound dislike of my uncle, I believed I deserved more than this.

"I'm not your prisoner, Uncle. You promised me so much more than this when I returned with her," I protested angrily.

Orvask seemed to inflate with aggression. "How dare you try and lecture me, boy! You're worthless now. You're not devoted to me, and I'll never be able to let you work under me if you have no loyalty to me!" he roared angrily. He'd obviously been holding it in for a while, and now the brewing disappointment and anger was coming out like a river bursting it's banks.

His words ignited my pride and I lashed out, delivering my words to make sure they cut him deeply. "Oh, I dare! You're a bastard, Orvask, who cares for no one but himself! You're a snivelling, slimy, disgusting wretch. You'd torture innocents just to further your own desires, and I'll have no part in it! I dare, because I know that you have no right to control me, no right to hurt people like you do! You're right, Uncle, I have no loyalty for you. Not any more. Not now that I've seen what you really are."

The depth of my disgust and anger surprised me. Orvask's surprised expression lasted only a moment, and cold hatred replaced it.

"Very well. If you will not follow me, you will suffer just like your dragon friend."

With those words, Orvask stepped towards me, each footstep like the pounding of a hammer. I tried to ward him off, but he grabbed the hood of my blue jumper and sharply pulled, causing me to fall. I choked as the fabric tightened around my neck. My hands scratched at Orvask's arm as he dragged me by the hood out into the hall. I passed out after a few minutes, and woke to find myself alone, heavy chain around my wrists. I was in one of Orvask's experiment rooms, and I didn't have to guess what was coming next.

. . .

[Your/The Former's POV]

Orvask visited me in the wee hours of the morning. I was whiling away the hours I couldn't sleep by drawing simple patterns in the hard dirt floor.

I heard voices outside, and then a group of heavily armoured men entered my cell. I'd managed to escape the leather strap that had been around my face, and I breathed fire at them. Unfortunately, the armour had been made from fireproof dragon skin, so my flames did naught but tickle the hairs on their chins.