PART II: 18. Battle of the Blinded

A/N: GUYS I UPDATED ARE YOU PROUD OF ME

p.s. sorry for the million year wait, this has been completed for a while but I just haven't gotten online. heh.

HOPE YOU LIKE

UPDATE: This chapter has edited as of 4.7.15 :)

______________________________________

[PART II]
- Rebirth -

Chapter 18
Battle of the Blinded

-
Soundtrack: Kolnidur by Jonsi or 15. Stoick's Ship
-

For a moment, there was the sensation of total nothingness, but it quickly morphed into an intense cold. I was thinking about how light I felt, when I realised what I was looking at. My dead body. I was dead, and hovering slightly above my own corpse. It took me a moment to recall what happened as I stared at the deadly ice crystals sticking out of my scales as though I had become some sort of porcupine.

My heart dropped into my stomach as I glimpsed my ghostly paws. I may be dead but I was still imprisoned in my Night Fury body. Ethereal scales covered me, almost transparent. I wasn't human, and I never would be. I felt a faint, hollow sense of sadness. It felt incomplete. I hadn't finished what I was supposed to before I died.

I heard voices, and listened as Orvask intoned, "... at least she's out of the way." He sounded very far away, his words dulled like everything else in this new form. I watched Hiccup drag himself out from under my body. His eyes instantly filled with tears when he saw the broken body before him. "No," he croaked out. Orvask watched on smugly, relishing in the pain he had caused. "No!" Hiccup whispered harshly into the silence left where I once lived. "You're not dead, you're not," he cried, his voice soft and full of regret. Astrid approached him cautiously.

"Come back," he was murmuring softly.
'I'm right here,' I wanted to say. "Hiccup," Astrid said, with a gentleness I didn't know she possessed. He didn't look up. "...She's gone, Hiccup," she said, and knelt beside him. He raised his head slowly to look at her with an empty expression. "It's my fault. I was supposed to help her!" he said in anguish. The desperate words echoed around the crater, haunting those that still lived.

"I know," Astrid was saying, "but it isn't your fault. ___ knew what she was doing. It was her choice," she said convincingly. Hiccup looked away again, opening his mouth to say something, only he never got the chance. Gold light was illuminating my corpse from the inside out, shining behind each scale and casting patterned shadows on the two. The Alpha roared challengingly, shaking the air as Orvask stepped forward a few paces, his eyes blazing with denial and confusion. "What-" he began. I didn't hear the rest of his words, because new voices, a hundred million voices, spoke together in a hushed tone. The stars were speaking to me for the very last time.

"Your time is up
But you aren't dead
You took the blow
in Hiccup's stead

The scales of war
Have covered you
But now they're gone
You're changing too

You listened well
And your path was true
So now this gift
We give to you

A human once
It's in your bones
And ten years past
You can go home
."

The light that stemmed from my dragon body grew brighter until it was blinding, and Hiccup and Astrid were shielding their eyes with their arms. It reached up like a coil of wire and twisted around me, pulling me down. I squirmed and fought, because I didn't want to leave this place and I didn't want this to be the very last time I saw them. No! Don't make me leave! I protested, though no sound came from my ghost. Again I was caught in the absolute nothingness, devoid of sound or light or feeling.