Chapter 13- Don't Belong Here

Sweet Pea looked into the bleachers, one more play to go, searching for that ever so memorable smiling face, and smirked when he locked eyes with her. Other people in the crowd were watching the last remaining minutes of practice, but his eyes were glued to her, giving her a small wave and a wink. She just smiled at him. Unfortunately for Sweet Pea, Reggie Mantle thought it was meant for him.

"What are you doing waving at her Southside Scum? She's obviously smiling at me, someone much more her style." Rage swelled in Sweet Pea; he couldn't believe how annoying this kid was. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He's not the one dating her, let alone meeting her in the Bio Lab later, he thought to himself. "She could never be into you. I suggest you forget her and find yourself a Southside Slut. Someone much more up your trashy alley."

"Ladies, it's not gossip hour! Get your butts back on the court to finish this scrimmage!" Coach yelled, blowing his whistle. He looked back to Jess, who gave him a sympathetic look.

The boys went on to the court. The ball was passed in, and the game began. A player started to dribble down the court, he passed it to a player outside the key, who passed it to Reggie. Reggie dribbled the ball driving to the basket, and took a shot. Sweet Pea, making this personal, blocked it right down. He could hear Sleeping Beauty in his mind saying Way to Go you skyscraper. He smiled to himself, hustling to the court. When given the ball, he started dribbling, but Reggie bodychecked him down and took the ball back. Coach did nothing. He didn't call what was so blatantly a personal foul. Sweet Pea got up to make sure that this wasn't over. He didn't know how, but he got the ball, the timer going down every second faster and faster. 10 seconds. He looked around for an open player.

9 Seconds. They were none. 8 Seconds Reggie was coming up to steal the ball. 7 Seconds. He pivots, letting Reggie fall on his ass. 6 seconds. He moves to the three-point line. 5 Seconds. Coming up on a shot clock violation and a loss. 4 Seconds. He shot the ball, everyone watching on the edge of their seats. 3 seconds. The ball continued to soar through the air. 2 Seconds. It hit the rim and rolled around. 1 second. The swirling continued. The buzzer rang as the ball went in. He made the shot! He looked over to his Sleeping Beauty. Her face said it all, Nice Shot, Skyscraper.

"Practice is over! Hit the showers!" Coach whistled as they all hustled into the locker room. Sweet Pea received some pats on the back for his shot, but Reggie being Reggie.

"You got lucky, Snake. It won't happen again." He huffed.

********

Sweet Pea sat in the Bio Lab, waiting for his Sleeping Beauty to arrive at any minute. He became highly impatient, however, and decided he would ruin the surprise element. So he texted her.

Are you coming or what?- SP
What do you mean?-SB
Come on, don't play with me. The note you left in my locker.-SP
What note?-SB
The one saying to meet you in the bio lab to work on Anatomy.-SP
I didn't put a note in your locker.-SB
Seriously?-SP
We've been dating for two days. I don't think we are ready for Anatomy just yet.-SB
Okay, do you wanna do something today?- SP
Sure, what do you have in mind?-SB

"I didn't think you were stupid enough to actually come." A voice said from the front door. Sweet Pea turned to see Reggie and other basketball members with him.

"I was just leaving," He started walking towards the door but got blocked by Reggie and his goon squad. "What do you want, Mantle?"

"To put you in your place." He said, moving in on him.

"My Place?" He raised an eyebrow.