The Perks

sorry for not updating... I lost my computer charger and I normally write on their, so im writing this on my phone. since im writing it on my phone, there will probably be a lot of grammar errors so once I find my charger ill go back and change them. so you might just have to deal with the uncapitalization sometimes lol

~~

Working at a coffee shop had its perks. Like the ten percent discount on all products and the free meal during your breaks. But it also came with the perks of conversation. 

Since it wasn't wildly popular, the coffee shop wasn't always busy; which meant that most of the time it was just you and Gerald working.  And since Gerald wasn't very talkative, you ended up talking to the costumers. It wasn't really a big deal-you would've talked to them either way.

 After working there for over four years, you knew almost all of the regulars coffee order's by heart, including your favorites: Felicite, an iced mocha with coconut milk; Brody, an almond milk latte; and Mark, a simple black coffee. And everyone knew you. 

So when you got an unusual pain in your chest one Thursday afternoon a few years ago, around the time Felicite came in, she was able to help you out.

—-

"Hey, [y/n]!" a familiar voice called from behind the register.

You turned around, a smile spreading across your face. "Right on time," you giggled. 

"The usual?" you asked, loving how you could use the phrase since you became a barista.

"Of course," Felicite answered, getting out the exact change.

"How did I know?" you joked, turning around to make the coffee.

After pushing a few buttons and using a few machines, the coffee was ready. Exchanging the coffee for money, you counted it to make sure it was the right amount. Of course it was, you just always had to make sure.

Felicite made her way over to the bar so you could have your usual chat.

After cleaning up the small mess from the old coffee machine, you turned, waiting for all of the details. When none came, you sighed. I guess I have to do everything, you joked with yourself.

"So... how was your shift?" 

"Oh," she paused to take a sip of her coffee. "It was fine. Some poor boy came in today with his femur sticking out of his leg from tripping during basketball, so we had to place his bone back into his body."

"Woah." 

"I can't believe I'm friends with a doctor," you exclaimed, jumping up and down a bit. Your actions caused Felicite to laugh, almost spilling her drink. "Hey, don't make me clean up your mess." You pointed an accusing finger at her.

"It's your job!" she laughed.

"Oh, what-" you paused, a slight pain in your chest. Pushing on your chest, you felt the pain get worse. It kept on elevating until it caused you to grunt.

"[y/n]? Are you alright?" Felicite worried, standing up out of your seat.

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine. I'm sure its just-" you got interrupted again by a small grunt.

"Is it your chest?" she questioned, going into doctor mode. 

Unable to speak, you nodded. 

"Here, let's go to the bathroom, I have my medical bag with me," she paused thinking for a moment. "Gerald can you cover for her?"

Looking up, Gerald saw the state that you were in. "Yeah-yeah of course." 

That was all you needed to get you out from behind the counter and into the bathroom. With Felicite right behind you, you arrived in record time.

"Here, unbutton your shirt," she commanded before laughing, "you are wearing a bra, right?"

You sent her a glare as if to say 'obviously.'

"Okay, okay just making sure."

You just shook your head and started to unbutton your shirt. Before you could even get half way through, Felicite stopped you.

"Woah, [y/n], you might want to see this," she said, turning you around to look in the mirror. It took your eyes a few moments to focus, but when they did you gasped. In the center of your chest stood a dark circle with lines shooting out of it. The mark had to have been larger than the rim of a solo cup, as it was taking up most of your top front half.

"It's," you coughed a little, finally able to use your voice again, "a soulmate mark?"

"Yeah."

"Normally you can't feel them. Why can I feel this one?" you asked, panic starting to course through your veins.

"Hey, hey calm down. It's totally normal for this one to hurt. You normally can't feel minor injuries because the amount of pain they cause is so small. By the looks of it, this one is hurting them way worse than it is hurting you."

You reached down to touch the mark, relieved that the pain was starting to disappear.

"Oh," was all you could find to say.

—-

Brody was special because he was Bea's soulmate. They didn't realize it until three weeks after you introduced them when Bea spilled hot coffee all over her lap, but you still like to claim credit for their meeting.

Now Mark. Mark was different.

Out of all the people that came threw the shop, you liked him best. He was good at reading moods, so when you wanted to talk your heart out, he would just sit and listen. But if you didn't feel like talking, he would just sit and read a book. And he always gave you some of the best advice.

The two of you became close after you started hanging out outside of the coffee shop. He was your best friend, second only to Bea, and after she moved to California for Brody's job, you two were practically inseparable. 

Until he stopped coming in. And stopped answering your phone calls. It was like he just disappeared off of the face of the earth for weeks. 

After leaving his voicemail full of messages everyday, you started to lose hope. You thought that you would never see him again. You thought that you lost another best friend, that no one was ever going to just stay put. 

Everyday, you woke up missing him, feeling how empty it was without him. Everyday, you went on with your life, going through the motions but not really living. 

And May 4 was no different, until you saw the portal.

~~

I feel like this chapter was really rushed. Was it rushed???

qotc (question of the chapter): If you could have anyones power from the mcu, whose would it be?

ma (my answer): scarlet witches