Home

Before, I knew for certain that the future was home, but now I'm not so sure. As much as I love the Legion and all of my friends, no one appreciated me back there, everyone expected me to do everything and no one was ever grateful. Here I feel loved and appreciated by all my new friends. Kara, Alex, Lena, James, J'onn, everyone, has made me feel like a part of their family, and they are grateful that I'm here, and for everything I do. And then there's Nia. No words in any language can explain properly how she affects me. She makes me feel happy and inspired and I feel breathless when I'm near her. She amazes me with everything she does and makes my chest feel all tight and makes me feel giddy. But most importantly when she holds my hand, I feel like I'm home. When she wraps her arms around me, I feel like I'm home. When she kisses me, I feel like I'm home. When I'm with her at all, I feel truly at home. And that is why I don't know if I ever want to go back to the future.

It's not fair of me to leave Winn there, and it's not fair of me to abandon all my friends. But the friends I've made here treat me better than all my old friends and the connection I have with Nia is way more than anything I've ever felt from the future. If I went back to the future I would probably never see Nia again, I would never get to feel the gentle weight of her head as she lays on my shoulder because she fell asleep during the movie we were watching. I wouldn't feel the peace that radiates off of her as her eyes flutter in her sleep.

Then suddenly Nia bolts awake tears already forming in her eyes. I may not be great with social situations but I can tell she's hurting and I want to help her. "Nia what is it?" I ask pulling her into my chest and wrapping my arms around her in what I hope is a comforting manner.

"You- you're....... Leaving me." She said quietly sounding absolutely defeated.

"Did you dream that I returned to the future?" I asked.

"Yes, you just left me," Nia pulled out of my embrace to look at my face.

"I will admit, I have been thinking about it." I feel awful admitting it but I would feel worse keeping it a secret. "The future is my home, and the Legion is there,"

"If you have to go home, I will understand. I won't be happy, but I'll understand. When I left home and moved here I missed my family every day, and I could go visit them whenever I wanted. I can't imagine if they were in a totally different time period." Nia moves away from me, I immediately miss the warmth and pressure of her next to me.

"I used to know 100% that the future was home, but since I met you that number is steadily declining." I reach out and hold Nia's hand in mine."

"What are you saying?" She asks confused.

"When I'm with you, I feel like I'm home. Not like I'm back in the future with the Legion, but I feel safe and peaceful but giddy and excited. You make me feel better than anyone from the future ever did."

"So you're not leaving?" Nia's expression is hard to read, I can't tell at all what she's feeling.

"I don't know, on the one hand, my whole life is in the future, all my friends are there, the Legion is there, but on the other, I've had a chance to restart my life here, where no one knows my past, and I've made new friends that I would even consider family, and I love you and I don't know that I ever want to leave you."

"Brainy, I don't want you to make some big life changing decision just because of me, make sure that even if I wasn't here and you decided to stay, that would still be the right decision for you." Nia says gently.

I don't understand why she says it, but when I think about it, I don't have anyone like Nia in the future, what's there is my friends and the Legion. Here, I have a new family and the DEO as well as the Super Friends. So even without Nia, the twenty-first century has more to offer me that the future. "I think I am going to stay here," I say finally.

Nia smiles at me, "I'm glad to hear that," She places a gentle kiss on my forehead and sits back down next to me. "I love you," she whispers against my shoulder.

"I love you too Nia Nal," I grab her hand and lace her fingers with mine.