What is Adult Fiction and how to help your fellow writers get there

To define what falls under Adult fiction and what does it mean to write Adult fiction isn't black and white. We will try to describe it to you as closely as possible. Before we'll aim for a definition, let us tell you some quotes;

First, an "adult" story is not one that primarily engages in what has become known as "adult rated behavior," ie sex and the like. It's a story that embraces concepts, sometimes difficult ones, rather than glossing over them and explores them to a realistic degree. And these concepts can vary, based on choice and audience, from the simple to the elaborate, from disagreements between people to someone struggling to overcome a crippling loss.

A work of adult fiction is a work of fiction in which elements are given real weight and consideration rather than simply being presented and discarded or glossed over.

That's really what "adult" means. If you're writing a story that's "adult" it means you're exploring concepts with the same depth they'd run into in the real world. You're giving characters, ideas, and concepts a full length to run their course.

What does make true "Adult" fiction, then? We would say it's simply treating your topics with the gravitas, weight, and depth they deserve.

There's responsibility and the acknowledgment that things carry weight, that decisions bring consequences on all levels. There's a level of seriousness and realism to approaching a characters emotions, responses, or ideas.

The following definition is brought to you by @multijoys, the winner of our October 2018 writing prompt! You can find it also in our guidebook.

Adult fiction in a nutshell

If we had to pick just one thing it would be this:

Adult Fiction should express, through its character's lives, the richness of experience gained by years of living. That's what makes us adults. That is what should define Adult Fiction.

Adult Fiction: Fiction written by adults, for adults, mostly about adults.

Adult fiction - the bigger picture

Adult Fiction should be a multi-layered tale, with sub-plots, rounded characters, and complex emotions.

While the plot doesn't have to be convoluted, it should have true substance. How is this different than stories written for other age-groups? Children, and to a lesser extent young adults, need a simple progression of the overall plot for an easier-to-read story. Adults can comprehend the complexities of various intertwining sub-plots working at different levels to enrich the main plot. This is not to say that all Adult Fiction must be complex, but neither should the plot be simplistic for simplicity's sake.

Characters should have the complexities of real people in all aspects of their fictional lives; whether that aspect is familial, romantic, casual, friendly, or professional. Realism makes for the most believable of stories, no matter the genre. How characters interact with different people and situations should vary, while remaining true to that character's personality.

Characters should display a range of emotions, both subtle and grandiose, appropriate to the people and events they encounter. Minor moments of pleasure or irritation, major moments of pure joy or intense rage... not just the main character, but every character should display a true range of both internal and external emotions.

Adult Fiction can, but does not have to, hit on adult themes inappropriate for younger readers. It should, however, express life through its characters with all of the experience gained by years of living. There are subtle themes, as simple as flirting, shopping, or tending to chores, that are seen differently through the eyes of experience. Mental struggles and insecurities in adult situations are not something children, or even young adults, can relate to in the same way as seasoned warriors of life. This experience with life, years beyond schooling, should be reflected within the story.

Finally, as an adult, we can extrapolate information. We do not require the author to spell out absolutely everything. We can enjoy simpler stories, but we also enjoy stories with relatable characters, written by authors who expect us to be intelligent.

Does your story qualify?

Unfortunately, there is not a cookie-cutter guideline for what qualifies as strictly Adult Fiction, because adults enjoy a variety of writing styles.

How to help your fellow writers get there?

We are in a book club and grammar corrections and stylistic suggestions are always welcome here. But how to help your fellow Bookclub members to make their story targeted on adult audience perfect?

- Focus on helping show the characters' emotion, inner battles, and their growth.

- Do you see great potential but there is a little bit of something deeper to get to the level the story could get? Do share your thoughts with the author.

You'll notice that each member in the Bookclub has specified what type of feedback they are looking for in regards to their particular story. Please, consider this in your approach.