10.Fallen Heroes

Chester

There is something about watching your favourite hero lose or watching them trudge through a task while clearly suffering and a second away from breaking down that gets to you. After being saved or whatever it is Conrad does to me seeing him in that state was the most heart shattering surreal thing ever.

It started out small his pose wasn't hanging with him Monday during lunch.  I didn't think much of it because we all need a little social isolation here and there. By Wednesday I handed received an annoying request to do something dangerous or stupid I was starting to get a little bit worried. Thursday when he didn't show up to the class he always comes for I knew something was up.

By the End of the day, I had cornered Jen to try and ask her where Conrad was but all I had got was a mumbled
' Not now Chester '  and her hurriedly running off to God knows where. So asking the only other person who would know where Conrad would be I asked Asa. I had realised earlier on Asa and Conrad had a weird close relationship that you wouldn't see if you were not close to either of them.

Asa was quiet and Conrad was loud. Conrad usually hung out with several people but always made time to talk to Asa even for five minutes. If I didn't know better I would say they were exes who broke up because the romance fizzled and all that remained was their friendship. I never really questioned Conrad about it because whenever anyone mentioned Asa he had this unreadable look and an obvious glare.

Walking into the library I spotted Asa on one of the tables with a few people I didn't know. I walked up to him with fake confidence because that's all I had and I couldn't help but think Conrad was in trouble. He was always in trouble but he never missed his classes so this must have been bad.

"Hey, Asa...umm Can we talk."

"Not now I am in the middle of something."  He answered punching furiously at his calculator.

" I will wait."I say to him in the most neutral tone I can master.

As soon as he was done crunching his numbers he looked up letting a silent 'Oh ' slip out of his mouth.

He excused himself from his group and walked towards a bookshelf signalling me to follow him.

"What's up?" He asked annoyed.

"I . . . Uh umm, know that you are ahh... With Conrad. " leaving out space intentionally because I have no idea what they are.

"Yeah Conrad and I have a relationship so?"

Something about the way he says relationship gives me goosebumps and I cross my arms over my chest.

" Well I was hoping...you could."

"I don't have all day," he answers sounding a little angry.

I have not seen him in school in a while and I was wondering if you could tell me where he is because I know you would be the one person who knows him like that.

He scoffs then replies with a smirk "You lost your boyfriend, what happened I thought you two were joined at the, " he waves a hand at me "Everything."

I think about telling him his not my boyfriend but I can't seem to get the words out so I let everything play out on its own.