21.Two sides of a coin

Conrad

I woke up at 2 am because I couldn't sleep and my room smelt like strangers as if my mum let people sleep there when I wasn't there. And knowing her she probably did.

"Chucky?"I turned, pan still in hand as I heard a tiny voice say behind me, "What are you doing?"

"Making breakfast," I said lifting up my baby sister and placing her on her high chair.

"Really!" She giggled eyes turning into large saucers with glee and wonder. " I want waffles with ice cream and sprinkles and smarties. "

"Of course cupcake. " I said grabbing the stuff I needed from the top shelves.

"And then. " She exclaimed excitedly like we had been talking about a big story before, a bad habit she definitely picked up from Garry "Johnny gave me a dinosaur. Because Johnny said Princesses slay dinosaurs. "

"Princesses slay dinosaurs?" I asked.

"No!! They slay dragons and are best friends with dinosaurs!" she said like I just didn't understand the huge crisis.

"Oh...So what did you tell Johnny? " I asked adding chocolate chips to the waffle batter.

"One day I dreamt of dinosaurs and Gary said that dinosaurs are not monsters they are princesses best friend just like uniforms." she kept on going clearly excited about this story.

"Uniforms?" I asked confused.

"Yes everyone loves uniforms!" She exclaimed.

"I know a few underpaid workers who would disagree with that." I responded more to myself.

Since when do princess wear uniforms. I thought. And who was going around teaching my three-year-old sister that princesses liked uniforms? Frowning I tried to guess who was the cause of this, most likely the twins.

"She means Unicorns," Garry said leaning on the doorframe.

"You two know, it's 3 am right?" Jerry asked from behind Garry in a sleepy voice.

"I can't sleep my room smells like strangers," I said pouring batter into the waffle iron.

"That's because you haven't been home in a while," Garry said sulking.

Jerry walked to the bar stool besides Lea's chair and managed a groggy "Don't mind Garry he's just grumpy because he missed you. "

"Your someone special better be hot because if you ditched us for a fugly being I will never forgive you. " Garry said sitting next to Jerry.

"I don't think there is something there anymore." I said more to myself.

"Just write them a letter, I like you do you like me? Check yes or no. " Jerry said seriously.

Primary school love, I thought. Simple times.

"I wish it was as simple as that," I said wistfully. Watching Lea clap her hands and sing some muddled up nursery rhyme.

"That's how Garry got a girlfriend." Jerry said awake now, "I want mine with strawberries and raspberry syrup."

"Mine too," Gary mumbled blushing so much that anyone would mistake him for a fire hydrant.

"So what's her name," I said to Garry. Happy to have distractions from my own worries.

"Suzie," Lea screamed out gleefully.

Of course, I thought, it has to be a Suzie.

Garry shrank into his sit just before glaring at Jerry.