Family Outing

Hermione and Draco each pushed a pram down the streets of Hogsmeade on Saturday. Both had a smile on their face as they looked down at the children and then at one another. It felt as if they were in their own world, and they didn't think anyone would be able to pull them from it. They were going to meet Cissy for lunch and then walk through some of the stores before heading back to the castle. Hermione had insisted to Draco that he study with Blaise tonight and tomorrow in preparation for the exams coming up. Telling him a dozen times at least that she would be alright with the babies. After all, she had magic and was finding dozens of ways for it to help her when all three babies needed something at the same time. 

"There, you all are!" Cissy waved at her son and daughter in law as they walked up. She had missed them terribly and felt so sad when McGonagall had told her Hermione thought it would be best for her and Draco if she stayed at the castle for the duration of the term. She was delighted when that same evening Draco had invited her to lunch with the five of them. Hermione had put in the letter that she was so grateful for everything. She just missed Draco so much. She understood. Soon they would all be at the Manor, and everything she had always wanted would be right there in front of her. "I brought you all something." 

"You didn't need to do that, mother." Draco kissed his mother's cheek, and then they all went inside."

"I know I didn't need to, darling, but I wanted to. If you think I am not going to spoil these little precious babies, you are sorely mistaken." Cissy pulled out three little toys, one for each of her grandchildren. She and the house-elves that worked at the Manor had helped make them. She knew that Draco had always had the elves as company as much as it displeased his father. She figured that he would be happy that they helped in making the toys. For Ara, they had made a little star that lit up and sang songs that Cissy had sung. She loved singing and hoped to pass that love onto her granddaughter. She already looked so much like Draco and reminded her of herself, actually. For Scorpius, she had made him a snake that could not be lost. If he were anything like his father, he would throw toys out of the pram constantly, and many times, Cissy had not noticed, and Draco had lost so many toys she didn't remember. And for the youngest, she had made with a lot of help a small little lion that was always warm. He was tinier than the other two, and she hoped that he would grow and flourish with this little extra love. 

"Wow, mother, thank you. They are wonderful gifts." Draco smiled at his mother as she finished explaining everything. 

"Cissy, thank you so very much. I hope you know that you were so very helpful and kind. I didn't mean to hurt you if I did. I just missed Draco terribly." Hermione felt the hot tears in her eyes as they welled up. 

"Think nothing of it, dear. I know that Draco was probably not doing everything he needed to prepare, constantly worrying about you and his family. I want you to know that I will always support the decisions you make for your family. I understand that feeling. I know what it is like to do something purely for your children and not for you." Cissy smiled at her son and then back at Hermione. Hermione nodded in understanding, remembering the story that Harry had told her. Narcissa Malfoy had looked into the face of a murderer. Someone who could easily read minds and lied. Lied to have the chance to protect her son. 

"After lunch, would you like to accompany us to some of the shops that we were going to. I am sure that we could conjure you up to another pram so that the boys don't have to share. We could each push one around. I am sure that it would be quite a sight." Draco laughed, thinking about the first time that he and Hermione had been to Hogsmeade together. It had almost turned into an all-out brawl. Now he looked around, and no one was staring or trying to start a fight. He hoped that his children in the future wouldn't have to undergo torment just because of the last name that they bore.

"I think that would be nice." Hermione seconded the offer that Draco had made his mother. She smiled at them both. She loved her son and was so happy that he had found love. That everything that he had gone through hadn't broken him completely. They had helped heal one another. Or at least started to. She knew that they both would have a long journey before the nightmares stopped completely. Until they stopped looking over their shoulders or checking for exits.=, the best routes to escape, or feeling the burning in their pockets where their wands were assuring themselves that they would reach it and have it drawn int the quickest amount of time. 

"I would love that." 

They talked for a while after they had eaten their lunch and then went about looking in different shops. It was a wonderful afternoon. One that they would all remember. 

Hermione would remember the joy on her husband's face as Ara smiled at him, and when he noticed that the boys always seemed to do better together than apart. She would remember the laugh that Cissy let out as Draco changed a nappy. A look of horror on his face. She would remember her family so happy in the little moments. Ones she hoped would last a lifetime. 

Draco would remember Ara's smile, the ways her eyes shown bright even at this young age. He would remember his wife's smile as she sat across the table listening intently at the stories his mother told of Draco as a baby. The similarities that he and Scorp had. He never wanted to forget these memories.

Cissy would remember that this was her future. Her past would not define her any longer. She knew that this was the best law that could have possibly landed at the perfect time. It brought her happiness; it brought her son happiness. And most importantly, it would bring laughter and love into the Manor again. A place that had been filled with hatred and despair. It would be replaced with 6 little feet running around. Broom whizzing by in later years and love. Love for her children and her grandchildren. Love for herself. That she would always remember.