War Brothers

09:02 AM

April 16, 2013

Tallinn, Estonia

Hospital

'Don't worry, Sergeant, I got you. You're going home.'

'I'm sorry about your men, Florida...and I'm sorry that they're keeping quiet on this...if you need anything, you have my number.'

'I'm gonna make a deal for you. You act as an insider for me and send me anything on Koko, I'll promise you and your friend a new life right here.'

'You got lucky in Cuba...but your luck is running out.'

The images were suddenly wiped out as soon as Daniel awoke. He looked around, finding himself in a white room. It wasn't long for him to realize he's in the hospital. That explains the fact his clothes were replaced with a robe.

As he lifted his body up, he winced and gritted his teeth. The bullet got him really hard. He lifted his robe up and noticed his abdomen was stitched up, still showing a some slight redness. As he got used to the pain, Daniel noticed Koko slumped on a chair asleep.

"Koko?"

Calling her name seemed to have awoken her. Her eyes opened fast and she looked at Daniel. He was about to say something about the fact he was in the hospital before in just a second, Koko slapped Daniel across the face with the strength of a ruler. His expression didn't move an inch but he still felt it inside. When Daniel looked up, he noticed dried tears pelted on her cheeks.

"Have you lost your fucking mind? First, you didn't tell me you had that guy's number and then you tried to meet him in person? Did you even realize how stupid that was?!"

Daniel remained expressionless although he looked away, admitting her point. It did sound stupid from her point of view.

"You're right," he said, softly. He could hear the guilt and shame in him. "I really thought I could convince him. We went on missions together and he rescued me from that village before I had to fight another wave of Taliban fighters. I probably wouldn't even be here if it weren't for him."

Even though Koko was mad at him, she still understood his intentions. Being forced to take down an old friend who once saved him back in the day would be hard to do.

"I'm sorry, Koko..."

He was expecting a lot more worse than Koko's slap to the face. Instead, she leaned over to him and hugged him.

"I've lost Echo, I've lost R, I've lost Jonah and I almost lost you."

Daniel wasn't able to find anymore words. He didn't need to. He placed his hands on her back, returning the embrace.

"I'm sorry, I really am." He whispered.

"I know..."

The two broke away and Koko started to rub her cheeks. She also had some news to report other than slap Daniel.

"The doctor said you'll be able to recover for the next few weeks or months because of your blood loss. My team will try to handle Hex and the Night Nine. Valmet will be here with you for protection."

He nodded in acceptance. That was surprisingly quick.

"Alright. I'll take it"

Koko sighed and the two embraced again.