f o u r | Shortcut

"Hey sis, you in there?"

Mei took in a breath and cleared her throat, inviting a certain somebody in.

"Akane?" I half whispered and half hissing.

The door knob turned as the door opened widely. "Hey sister. I was going to a-"

Akane's voice stopped when she saw me beside Mei who pressed her lips together. She started to get impatient. "Is there a problem?"

"Uhh... yeah." Her index finger pointed at my face. "Why is she here?"

Mei gave a small shrug, not even looking up. "She got in some sort of trouble."

I gave an awkward smile as the room got quiet. One minute passed and I starting to cough. "You two are sisters?"

Before I could say that they didn't really look anything the same except for their black hair. But Akane read my mind. "Step-sisters. Different moms.." The reaction she gave me was like she despised something. Or cliche, someone.

"What were you going to ask?" Mei asked once we were all quiet.

The other  glanced at me expectantly like she was waiting for me to leave.

I gave a grim smile and nodded. "I'll be on my way now."

I bowed with respect towards Mei and brushed past Akane.

Then I walked out of the door, shutting it behind me.

As soon as I shut the door, my ears took in muffled voices behind it. Something about 'blood' I sighed, not thinking much of it. Maybe the crybaby was just whining about a small cut that's not even noticeable.

Trying to think of something else while walking in the hallway, I glanced at the shelf. The shelf full of the schools' trophies.

I shake my head. And I started to look for the exit.

~morning.

Saturday. My time to finally relax.

Even though the sun stood up bright and birds chirped, the sunlight blinded me even through my curtains. I sat up and glanced tiredly at my alarm clock on the nightstand beside me. It read 7:07 AM. So much for days in the summer. Days were longer.

I got out of bed and stretched for a few minutes before dragging my whole body to the refrigerator. I opened it. My bored eyes searched from top to bottom but found nothing appetizing.

I sigh and shut it closed.

Guess I had to eat from a cafe. The nearest one was a twenty minute walk which wasn't so bad but I wasn't in the mood.

My attitude said no but my stomach said yass dessert.

Okay, why not?

~

I decided to wear some white striped shorts that went up to my waist and a checkered crop top.

I gave a cringed look as I could see all the men walking to work stare at me. I scurried away into a dark alleyway as I gave a horrified look.

I wouldn't arrive there in ten minutes. Definitely wouldn't mind since I haven't been in shape this past week. But I definitely DO mind people staring at me.

There was this alleyway that you could cut through and bam, you'd be in the middle of Tokyo where its at its busiest. The cafe I was destined to, the bars and hundreds of taxis taking up the road. The alleyway was pretty much a shortcut.

But there were rumors that there was a man lurking around here at night, looking for who-knows-what.

But I shook my head at the thought of it and hurriedly strolled through the straight dark tunnel. But light shone its way in, making me see better ahead of myself.