false sympathy

❝CHAINED TO A BURNING PARADISE!❞

"Danchou?"

The man in questioning turned his head from his current book to his troupe member, Pakunoda who looked increasingly worried the longer she look at her leader.

"Yes, Pakunoda?" His voice nearly shook as his voice was clearly hoarse. Almost as if he'd been screaming. Pakunoda almost hesitated had it not been for the vibe Chrollo was emitting.

"Is everything alright?" The unexpected question rang out throughout the base. The founding members turned to them both with minor frowns. They'd noticed their boss's mood lately too.

Chrollo nearly smiled, pushing back a stray strand of pitch black hair. He replied, "I had an odd dream. It was quite troubling."

"Really? What was it about?" Shalnark piped up, interested about this dream his brother like leader was had.

"Our old friend, (Y/n)," the troupe member's eyes were widened to an extent. "She was beckoning me towards her, saying that she's indeed alive and well." Chrollo almost choked up, telling his troupe about his dream. A dream that his closest friend and woman he fancied was alive and not deceased by a horrible death that ultimately, he could have prevented.

He missed her.

"That is not true." Feitan mumbled with a saddened tone. "Feitan." Machi nudged the now confused and short, foreign man.

"He's right, (Y/n) died years ago." Phinks sighed from a corner, his body resting on an old crate with his eyes closed and furrowed, invisible eyebrows.

The entire troupe knew of (Y/n) and Chrollo's closeness. They knew that their boss was beginning to fall in love with the trivial woman. They had a bond that was near indestructible. Much like him and Shalnark. Yet, death somehow managed to separate them. "Don't dreams like that mean something?" Shalnark chimed.

"What are you trying to say, huh, Shalnark?" Nobunaga grumbled. His thin chin resting on the palm of his hand as he sat in an uncomfortable position against a wall.

"Nothing at all," the vibrant blonde man beamed, "but, maybe the dream Danchou had symbolizes something?"

"You're reading too much into it."

"I'm not!"

"You are!"

"Shut up, you two! It doesn't matter if the dream has meaning or not. It won't help our situation." Machi spoke sternly, with intelligence. She made a lot of sense.