Chapter Three

Wild - Marian Hill

I was sitting in a corner of the tiny flying ship, wrapping my arms around myself, trying to absorb all the warmth I had left in me. The sun had gone down and the stars had come up to take its place.

Morro and I hadn't spoken since he kissed me and promised he would never lie to me. My lips still felt warm. I grazed my fingertips against them, feeling where Morro had pressed his lips exactly.

A shiver rolled down my spine. I shook it off, my teeth chattering from the cool breeze. The sky was beautiful. A flawless mess. The stars seemed to never be there until a dark sky came out. When people think of dark, they think of evil, but it's the dark that brings out the stars, and when we think of stars, a picture of hope is painted in our minds.

I always wanted to see the good in people, so when it was hard for me to see the good things people would do, I just thought of something like that. But with Morro I felt that I couldn't see anything past his cold eyes. All I saw was hatred hidden by a flirtatious smile.

I sniffled, snuggling up in my robes. For so many years I had longed for some sense of adventure in my life; something that gave me a sense of excitement, and now I was getting my wish, but this wasn't how I imagined it inside my head. Everything was unfolding wrong and I hated it. I wasn't going to be the damsel in distress, I wanted to be the hero.

Maybe this was all going to turn out perfectly and I would remember my adventures forever. Maybe.

I shivered more. It felt like I couldn't ever feel more cold than this. (Honestly that is probably a lie.) I wasn't used to this type of weather. The Cloud Kingdom was constantly sunny and warm, so this chill was quite new to me.

My eyes flashed over to Morro who seemed to be in a deep conversation with a ghost one moment and about to fall asleep the other.

The other ghost was holding a large scythe and hovered above the ground, unlike Morro, who had more humanlike features. The other ghost walked away, muttering gibberish under his breath. Morro turned towards the front of the boat and stared out at the stars.

My eyes seemed to wander everywhere, going from the sky to my lap to Morro and all over again. I sucked in a breath. I was still curious about why I'm alive and why this was all happening. Was it because the Universe got tired of hearing my whiny wishes? Or was it really happening for something important?

As if he sensed my gaze on his back, Morro turned around. He smiled under his mask.

I glared at him, my heart racing. There was something about him that scared me, but there was also something that gave me a sense of security. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I wanted to feel safe, especially with him.

I groaned quietly at my stupidity, forcing the thought out of my head. He kidnapped me, and I am mad and I demand to know why I'm still here, so I asked. "Why am I here? And you can't tell me no, or anything else invalid to me. Give me an actual reason to not know why I'm here, or tell me."

Morro smiled, making his way over to me. "Are you important to the Cloud Kingdom?"

"What?"

"I asked you a question that will lead to your answer."

"But I never-"

"Do you want an answer or not?"

I paused for a moment before deciding that I should lie to him. I was just like everyone else. I wasn't important, I just had a job. But why not? I can't trust him, anyway. If I tell him I'm important, then  it will increase my chances of him keeping me alive. "Of course I'm important. I'm practically royalty."

Morro smiled softly, pulling his mask off of his face. "Hm."

"So are you going to tell me or what?"

"If you're that important, I guess you shouldn't know."

"This is getting really annoying."

"Fine. I am going to take you to a War between the Cursed Realm and the Cloud Kingdom. If you're practically royalty to them, they will fight me to get you back, won't they?"

My eyes widened. War? I can't go to war!

Morro smiled, slipping off his cloak amd tossing it at me. I stared at his bare arms, blushing madly. "There you go, princess. Wouldn't want you to freeze to death."

As much as I didn't want to use his clothing, I was desperate for any kind of warmth.

Morro smiled at me and turned away. His smile was softer, calmer. Like he was happy I was warm.

I shook my head. Nope. This guy was evil. Gross and evil and green. He was never going to turn out to have a heart.

Morro was cold and cruel. I hated him. I had a right to hate him. I had a right to lie to him about how worthless I really was. I wrapped his cloak around me, squeezing it around my limbs. The rough cloth itched my skin, but at least I was warmer. My eyelids drifted shut before I opened them again just to catch once last glance at my captor.

Morro leaned over the ledge, still staring at the stars who seemed to stare right back. He probably thought that I was already asleep. I was about to drift off, but there was something in Morro's eyes that made me want to know more about him.

He seemed to long for something. It looked like he was a kid with a dream he wanted so bad but was stuck with a terrible reality. He looked hopeless, as if he lost something; lost someone. I smiled lightly to myslef. As much as I hated him, I hoped he would find what he needed.

I smiled wider and let my thoughts carry me into a dreamless sleep.

《UNEDITED》

...
A/N: Hello! Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been really busy. I had an idea while writing this, and I will mention it in my other stories, too. But if you would like me to write from his POV, comment and vote!