Chapter 24: Sedulous

ONE DAY BEFORE THE INDIVIDUAL TEST

Zian's POV

It's 5am and as usual, I'm here in the university before anyone except the guards. I headed to the field immediately and placed my things on a bench when suddenly my phone rang. I reached for it in my pocket, it is Jirou. He knows that I always wake up this early. I wonder why is he calling so I answered.

"Zian, are you training in the field today?" His voice sounded like he just woke up.

"Yeah, I am here now. Why? You coming?"

"Well, yeah.. I really wanna be in condition for tomorrow. I'll be there at 8."

"Sure. Take care."

After we both hang up, I put my phone in my bag, get my training shoes. I was using a different shoe when I went here so I had to change.

I started running laps after 30 minutes of doing warm-ups. I can't help but to think about the competition tomorrow while I was running and suddenly, I tripped. I realized that I'm losing focus so I brushed all the thoughts off my mind.

Hours have passed of running and jumping on hurdles, I decided to take another short break. I reached for my phone to check the time and it's almost 9am and Jirou is still not here. I roam my eyes around and I saw someone running towards my direction, shouting.

"Ziiiaaan!! Geez I'm late!!"

That's it. It's Jirou. He threw his bag beside me as soon as he reached me. I looked at him, smiling.

"You didn't have to run tho. By the way, you were fast."

He fixed himself, did warm-ups and run laps. After I gained half of my energy, I started running again with him.

Another hour passed, Jirou told me that he'll just gonna take a quick break.

I nodded at him and continued running. I didn't mind the exhaustion that I was feeling, I eagerly jumped through the hurdles again and again. While I was running towards the final hurdle, I composed and told myself as I stopped.

"You can do it, Zian. Last hurdle for today."

I breathed deeply and resumed running, focusing my eyes on the last hurdle. I am almost near it when someone shouted causing me to look at the direction where I heard the voice.

"ZIAN, WATCH OUT!"

I got distracted and I lost my focus and balance. I jumped wrongly resulting my face to fall first on the ground. I got dizzy and I felt something dripping from my nose; it was blood. I tried to wipe it off my nose but it won't stop.

My visions are becoming blurry, the last thing I heard and saw before losing my consciousness were Shawn, Jirou and Justin running to help me.

An hour later.

I woke up in a hospital bed with Jirou, Shawn and Justin beside me.

"Zian, you're awake!" Justin said.

"Thank God, nothing serious happened." Shawn added.

"What happened? Why am I here and why is my nose bandaged?" I asked in panic.

"The doctor said that you have mild nose fracture. It will take a week before they do something about it. The swelling needs to subside first." Shawn explained.

"But can I go home now? I need to convince coach to allow me to participate tomorrow. I cannot be disqualified." I looked at them three.

"Actually, we were just waiting for you to wake up then we're good to go. We already settled the bills too and by the way, you need to go back here after a week." Jirou answered.

"Thank you for settling everything and for bringing me here, guys. Let's all go home now. We all need rest. I'll just gonna give coach a call about what happened."

All four of us went home. I gave the coach a call just as soon as I reached the dorm. I explained everything that had happened earlier and my condition. I begged him to allow me to compete tomorrow and he agreed.
After the call, I spent the remaining time of the day exercising at home.

"I need to be at the final team. I need to work hard despite of this stupid fracture."