Stalker

It was a slow day at the store that day, and Rey and I were the only two scheduled. I was thankful for that because I liked just getting to talk to him.

"I know what you're thinking about," I told him as I counted the register and he stocked the mini fridge in front of the desk. "You're thinking about me. And Galen. And the fact that he's staying with me for a while."

He sighed, shrugging with a smirk. "You read me like a book, mon cherí. I can't hide anything from you."

"You're just painfully obvious," I retorted, earning a laugh. It made me smile. "Sorry about that. It was pretty awkward. I wasn't expecting him, you know, he just... appeared."

"It's okay," he replied. "I didn't know you were into older men, that's all. Besides, I guess I just didn't quite take you for... that girl, you know?"

I blanched. "What? Rey, it isn't like that at all. Like I told you, he's an old friend. Seriously, I consider that guy to be like a brother to me."

He stared at me for a second, cheeks darkening by the second. "O-Oh. I just saw him in my clothes and assumed -"

I laughed, shaking my head. "You're dumb, Rey. Seriously. And sorry about the clothes, I hope you don't mind. Like I said, he literally came out of no where. I don't even know how he got here, he didn't have a single bag with him or anything."

"Hey, no, it's fine. I mean, you're not using them, I'm not using them, so I guess he can."

I signed, happy that he understood. Rey kept clothes at my house because, after school when we weren't working or after work when he just stayed over, we would study together. He often stayed nights, and his parents seemed okay with it, so I just let him keep some clothes there. I washed them and stored them for whenever he decided to come over again. Anya came over too, and I stored her clothes as well, just mostly mixed in with my own. We were the same size in just about everything so we shared clothes fairly often.

The day continued on, still slowly, but I felt a bit uneasy. My foreboding feeling was getting stronger as the days passed, and it was driving me crazy. To know that something bad will happen but not when is true torture. I now knew what death row inmates waiting to be executed felt like. It stung me in many places and in many ways.

I wiped my forehead for the sixth time in sixty seconds and tried once more to concentrate on the task before me. Rey kept stealing worried glances at me and I pretended not to notice, too proud to tell him that my head was killing me. He asked multiple times what was wrong, and I denied any knowledge of what he was referring to. He eventually stopped asking and accepted my pride, which made me feel both better and worse. The day edged on, and eventually it was time to close up.

"Ugh, nine couldn't have come any slower today," I groaned, pulling on my coat and gloves. "You have the key, right?"

"That I do," he replied lazily, holding up a single key on a bronze-colored ring. "Unfortunately, it is not the key to my heart."

I laughed. "Good, because that would be very cheesy." Rey laughed, nodding, but didn't say anything. He was looking outside, and he seemed kind of angry.

"Rey?" I waved a hand in his face, making him blink and look down at me. "Everything alright?"

He smirked, turning around, but then he stopped smiling. "Don't look now, but there's a guy outside. He looks kinda young. He's been standing there all day, and he's been watching you."

I felt my smile slip away. "What? Come on Rey, don't around joke like that."

He didn't move, nor did he look at me.

"...Rey?"

"He's still out there, Mira. I don't like the look of him, and I don't want you going home alone tonight."

I looked outside and felt my knees go weak. I turned back quickly, continuing to dress for the weather outside. I felt panic build up inside of me.

"You don't look surprised. Do you know him?"

"Yeah. He's an... ex." I looked behind me and caught Brian's eye from across the parking lot. I looked away, fighting back tears. "My first and last."

Rey nodded, still serious but now looking a little more sympathetic. "Was he always so... stalkerish?"

"Well, I mean, more like protective, but yeah. We've been - we had been friends our whole lives, and we'd always been pretty close because of it. When he told me he was in love with me, I was really happy because I had always felt that way about him, too." I shook my head, looking at the floor after finishing zipping up my coat. "I trusted him with my everything."

Rey looked at me nervously. "Did you guys, you know... have-?"

I actually laughed at his assumption as we stepped outside. "What? Rey, we were fifteen!"

He shrugged. "Hey, that's always a great age to start practising." I laughed again as he locked the doors, and off we went. I could feel Brian's gaze on me as he followed behind us, making my smile disappear.

"Is he bothering you? Do I need to go talk to him?" Rey looked at me sympathetically and I couldn't help smiling just a little.

"He'll beat you up before you even speak, Rey. Not because you're weak, even though you are, but because that's just how he is. He's always been that way, he's very overprotective of me."

"Because of... your family?"

I nodded, shivering and wrapping my arms across my chest. "He was all I had after they died."

"Are you cold?"

"A little."

"You know, if it makes you feel comfortable, I can pretend to be your... you know... and maybe he'll back off. Only if you're comfortable with it, though." He bumped my shoulder. "I don't mind."

I shook my head, shivering again. "I can't do that, Rey. You know I don't think of you that way, and I'd feel like I'm just playing with your feelings. I can't do that to you."

He nodded, putting his hands in his pockets. "I know. You're so nice," he teased. "But you're shivering, so can I at least put my arm around you for warmth?"

I sighed, shaking my head at my friend's stubbornness. "Fine, whatever. But just because I'm cold, okay? This doesn't mean anything. Promise?"

"Yeah, I promise, I promise." He placed an arm over my shoulders, allowing me to meld into his side for warmth. We talked for the rest of the walk home to ease my mind, and once we arrived at my doorstep I kissed his cheek.

"Thank you for walking me home," I said genuinely, smiling. "And for letting me borrow your warmth. That kiss was for walking me home and being a gentleman, nothing more."

Rey grinned and nodded, jogging away and promising to see me the next day. I waved goodbye and went inside, sighing and removing my winter gear before leaning against the door and sliding to the floor. I could faintly hear Brian stepping up to the door, and I hoped, for whatever reason, that he would knock. I didn't know why. Maybe I did want to make it seem as if I had moved on from him. Maybe I just wanted him to fight for me. I didn't know, and I didn't particularly care. I just wanted him to knock.

His footsteps retreated off the porch and I found myself on the verge of tears. I was angry, not only at Brian but also at myself. Why didn't he say anything? Why didn't I say anything?

I stood and stretched, yawning deeply. I grabbed an apple from the fridge and headed upstairs, turning off the kitchen light behind me.

His eyes followed me, and I could feel the sadness in them.