Birthday

I heard steps coming to my side in my unconsciousness. I was laying in a bed and my eyes were open as if I was still awake, but the empty nothing beyond the bed told me otherwise. The steps neared, stopping at my bedside.

Stay together, I heard faintly. No matter what happens. Stay together and never let anything come between you. It might just save your lives in the future.

A figure in white appeared before me wearing a white gown, with tendrils of crimped brown hair and pink-tinted cheeks. Princess Leia sat beside me and placed her hand on my cheek.

"You're much older than you were when I last saw you." She brushed a strand of hair away from my forehead. "You've grown."

I couldn't move, therefore I couldn't speak. She seemed to understand and went on. "But you're so sad. So much more sad than ever before, dear. What's the matter? What have you lost?"

I felt a tear slip from my eye and Leia wiped it away. "Ah, I see. You've lost the will to fight, yes?"

My answer came in a torrent of tears and pathetic sniffling.

"I understand, dear. You must be so tired, so very tired of fighting for your life. I'm so sorry. But you can't give up yet. You must fight. I don't know if this will be your last fight, or if you will ever be the same after it. But you can win, Jenakin. You can win. And that's all that matters. You must win, not just to save yourself and your friends but to save your world. To save all of our worlds. You are the key to it all. You cannot give up now."

I knew. I hated the idea, I hated that it had to be me, but I knew that no one else could accomplish what I could. No one else was powerful enough. And I hated that.

I blinked and Princess Leia disappeared; I was simultaneously disappointed and relieved. I was alone once again, but it didn't last for long.

I woke up slowly, blinking carefully in the darkness as I felt someone breathing gently beside me. Galen snored lightly in my ear, tickling me and making me smile as I turned to cuddle up to him. He hugged me close, still asleep, and I held him tightly. He didn't seem to mind.

"Thanks for being here for me, Galen," I whispered to him. "You don't know how much it means to me." I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep once more.

Hours later I woke up once again, though this time I knew I wouldn't fall back asleep. I carefully climbed out of Galen's arms and grabbed some clothes, going to the bathroom and taking a hot shower. It calmed my nerves and slightly reduced my headache, making me almost cry in relief. My head felt as if it were splitting open that day.

I went downstairs after I was finished and grabbed a coat and rubber boots, putting them all on before carefully and quietly stepping outside. The frigid air helped to distract me from my headache and I gratefully welcomed it. I strolled to the freshly plowed street and dug my hands into my pockets, watching my breath turn into puffs of steam. The thin, dry air chased any exhaustion I felt after my shower away completely, leaving me feeling relatively refreshed and rejuvenated.

Even still, I felt as though something was wrong, something that was clear even though I didn't know what it was. It's like the feeling one gets when he or she sees a familiar setting from an unfamiliar angle. While I could say that my surroundings were completely normal, something was most definitely out of place.

I decided to walk the block and started towards the street corner. The feeling followed as I turned down it and continued towards the next corner. I was finally in front of the house behind mine before I realized what was happening.

The sky was red. It actually looked like it was blood red, sending shivers down my back as I slowly looked up. No sun was yet in the sky but it seemed like the world was covered in film. I felt like I was a picture being developed under a red light. My hands emerged from my pockets in defense and I raced back to the house, losing my boots along the way. I burst into the house but there was nothing behind the door and I fell into darkness. I landed carefully on my feet in a blank space, my frozen socks soaking quickly in the inch of water I stood in. It was an uncomfortable feeling, but I ignored it.