Reinforcements

Galen was pacing as I stood in front of the door, patiently waiting for Anya's arrival. He had woken up as soon as I started talking to Anya, but he hadn't said a word yet. His anxiety was making me anxious.

"Galen, stand still," I said quietly, my commanding voice making him stop in his tracks. "You're going to wake the others."

"The others are fast asleep and snoring," Aragorn said from behind me. He stepped quietly down the stairs and I heard two more pairs of footsteps right behind him. Gandalf appeared from the downstairs guest room and folded his arms, holding his staff tightly. "What's happening?"

"I called in reinforcements," I said in reply, and when I didn't elaborate they didn't ask. A small knock came from the door in front if me and I quietly opened it, ushering the three figures inside.

"Jeez, it's colder than a snowman's balls out there!" Anya was quiet, but it still irked me that she was talking so crudely. I locked the door behind them and then deadbolted it. I'd never had to use the deadbolt before, so it made the situation seem that much more dramatic. "Can I turn this lamp on?"

"Yes," I replied quietly. "Be quiet, the Hobbits are sleeping."

"What do you mean the Hobbits?" The light flicked on and Anya's eyes immediately fell on Gandalf. She stared for a moment before grabbing my arm and pulling me aside.

"Relax," I told her. "I'll introduce you, don't worry about it."

"Those aren't cosplayers, right? You promise, they're the real McCoy?"

"The realest McCoy there is," I replied, and I couldn't help smiling when she grinned and did a happy shuffle. "Just don't scream, okay? Like I said, the Hobbits are asleep. They're all pretty tired, so don't get on their nerves."

She nodded wildly, bucking her glasses askew. She fixed them and smiled at me, pure joy on her face. I led her back to the rest, ignoring the other two she had brought with her.

"Anya, this is Galen, my brother," I said, indicating him. She nodded and smiled, shaking his hand wildly.

"Mira told me so much about you! It's so nice to meet you!"

He looked at me, confused and bewildered. "My 'here' name," I explained.

"This is Legolas Greenleaf of the Woodland Realm," I pointed to him and she gave an Elvish solute that he proudly returned; "Gimli, son of Gloin," I pointed to him as well; "Aragorn, son of Arathorn, king of Gondor," she curtsied as I pointed to him; "and Gandalf the Gre- er, I mean White." He bowed his head to her, smiling. "Everyone, this is Anya. She's my best friend, and she's an ally. She's also a huge fan of all of you so if she asks a weird question just go with it." She elbowed me in the ribs, making me flinch.

"Any friend of Jenakin's is a friend of ours," Gandalf said happily, and the other Fellowship members nodded.

"Jen's told me a lot about you, Anya," Galen said with a polite tone. "I'm glad to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine!" she replied happily. "Oh my gosh, this is so cool!" she squealed quietly to me. I chuckled because everyone could hear her, but she didn't seem to mind all that much.

"Ah, and dearest Jaisa," Gandalf said lovingly, embracing her softly. I could see her smiling in the corner of my eye, but I didn't look at her. Galen looked at me and I nodded, watching as he went to hug her too. I sighed sadly, going to the kitchen and grabbing a random plastic cup from the dish drainer. I filled it with water from the tap and sat on the island, sipping slowly. I could hear the happy reunion of everyone else behind me and felt anger burning in my heart. I tried my best to ignore it, but it only grew when I heard someone approaching me from behind.

"Uh, hi," Brian said shyly, standing on the opposite side of the island.

It was just like the time we had first met, and the realization was painful.

"Hi," I said. I let my pain leak into my voice. I didn't mean to, and it made me want to kick myself.

"How are you?" His voice sounded hopeful despite my animosity. I was so close to losing it completely it physically hurt to keep myself relaxed.

"Not too great," I replied, taking a sip of water. "I've been getting a lot of headaches recently, you know? Like when my vision started going bad before I left. I keep hearing voices and having nightmares, too."

"I'm sorry," he replied, and I could feel him slide onto the island behind me. His jacket brushed against my back, making me shiver.

"And yourself?" I asked, clearing my throat a little. I refused to let the lump in my throat win.

"Not too great either, now that you mention it. I haven't been eating very well since you left. Sleep comes and goes pretty quickly. I barely managed to pass my classes this semester."

"That's right," I reply, "y'all are on Christmas break, too. We have the whole month off. I forgot you only had a couple of weeks."

"Yep. It kinda sucks, not gonna lie."

I chuckled at that. "I bet."

It was silent between us, but it was comfortable. I took another sip of water and found myself leaning against him.

"You know I missed you, right?" I asked quietly. "I always have, even though I try to convince myself that I don't."

"Me, too, even though I knew I don't deserve to. Funny, huh?"

"Yeah...."

It was quiet again before I got up and went back to Galen. I was smiling, just a little bit, and Galen wrapped his arm around my shoulders as he continued talking to Aragorn.

"She talks in her sleep, you know," he said, grinning down at me. "She says your name all the time."

"I - I do not!" I spat, blushing. "I don't say his name in my sleep!"

"All the time," he continued, squeezing me against his side. His face turned into a look of mock terror and his voice went up way too many octaves. "'Aragorn, help me! Help me Aragorn, the horses are trying to eat my hair!'"

Aragorn snickered and I punched Galen repeatedly in the shoulders, making him laugh as he tried to defend himself.

"Ouch, hey that hurts!" he laughed.

"That's the point, you nerfhearder!" I giggled as he grabbed me by the waist and spun me around, setting me down and locking his grip around my stomach. I fought to get out of his behind embrace but to no avail. I was laughing too hard.

I could feel Brian watching me, but for the first time in a long time I didn't mind. Not at all.