Chapter 11

AN: this chapter will have some PTSD stuff and I'm getting all my knowledge from google so it might not be exactly how it is in real life

~~~~~~~

Nico lagged behind, causing Percy to feel more uncomfortable in his decision. "You okay?"

"Fine." What was that expression on his face . . . doubt? "Just keep moving." No rants, no spiraling off into other topics. Nico only didn't talk when something was wrong.

When they emerged on the rocky cliff, Nico stopped beside him. Percy could see he had finally stopped shivering, which was odd considering where they were. But he looked terrified.

"So, Nico . . . how do we do this?" Percy asked. He wanted to get it over with for both of their sakes.

"We have to go inside the gates first," he said.

"But the river's right here."

"I have to get something," he said. "It's the only way."

Nico started off towards the gates, leaving Percy no choice but to follow. Why Nico would want to get close to those fields, he had no idea. But everything around them acted as if they were supposed to be there. Even Cerberus didn't attack, instead playing with Mrs. O'Leary.

They slipped into the Fields of Asphodel. Nico was starting to shake but not from cold. After a minute of walking, he grabbed onto Percy's arm. Percy was so sure a shade had that he nearly jumped out of his skin.

"Sorry," Nico whispered.

"It's fine."

They got out of the fields and started for the palace.

"Hey," Percy said, "we're inside the gates already. Where are we-"

They stopped walking. The Furies had appeared above them, circling overhead.

"I've done what my father asked. Take us to the palace." Nico let Percy go.

Percy tensed. "Wait a second, Nico. What do you-"

"I'm afraid this is my new lead, Percy. My father promised me information about my family, but he wants to see you before we try the river. I'm sorry."

"You tricked me?" Percy was mad enough he couldn't think. After everything he had done for him... He lunged but Alecto grabbed him.

"Oh, don't struggle, honey," his old math teacher cackled in his ear. "I'd hate to drop you."

Mrs. O'Leary tried to jump to reach him but was too far beneath them.

"Tell Mrs. O'Leary to behave," Nico warned. He was hovering near in the clutches of the third Fury. "I don't want her to get hurt, Percy. My father is waiting. He just wants to talk."

When did you talk to him? Percy wanted to ask. Had everything about sneaking out of the Underworld been a lie?

"Mrs. O'Leary, down! It's okay, girl. All right, traitor," Percy growled at Nico. "You've got your prize. Take me to the stupid palace."

They were dropped in the middle of the palace garden. The only guards were what looked to be old soldiers, and Nico was eyeing them as it he once knew them.

Percy stared at the three empty thrones. Then the air shimmered. Three figures appeared- Hades and Persephone on their thrones, and an older woman standing between them.

"-told you he was a bum!" the older woman said.

"Mother!" Persephone replied.

"We have visitors!" Hades barked. "Please!"