Chapter 23

AN: I'm not good at writing Leo, I never have been for some reason. So I apologize if he's a little OOC. But I love the idea of a friendship between him and Nico and a friendship between Nico and Piper

Nico hated the Argo II.

As soon as the emergency meeting was over, Hazel led him to the sick bay where he basically collapsed into one of the beds. Leo pulled a couple of sleeping pills from his tool belt (Nico wasn't sure how it worked, but he trusted Hazel who in turn trusted Leo). After Nico took them, he fell into such a deep sleep that he had no dreams or even a feeling of reality.

The next thing he was aware of was waking up to the ship jolting.

Every muscle ached, and as he stood, he felt like his brain was scrambled. How long had it been since he got rest? His body was getting tired of keeping up with him.

Nico got to the deck to find Hazel and Leo, the later waving around one of his controls. Beneath them, a beautiful countryside went on for miles.

"Another way," Leo muttered. "Do you see one?"

Nico walked over to his sister and new aquaintance, eyeing the map. "You're trying to get over the mountains?"

Leo nodded. "Stupid rock gods attack us every time we try."

"It's our fault," Hazel said. "Nico's and mine. The numina can sense us."

Nico nodded at her. "Makes sense. Earth spirits don't like the children of the Underworld. We get under their skin, literally. But the Athena Parathonos... That thing's like a magical beacon. They can sense it."

"So crossing the mountains is out," Leo said. "Thing is, they go a long way in either direction."

Nico stared down at the map of his homeland as Hazel offered up another choice. He could point out where each battle had been, could even point out where he had died.

"Whatever we do," he spoke up, "we have to hurry. Every day Percy and Annabeth are in Tartarus..."

He reached a finger out and touched the spot where he had died. As soon as he did, an old sort of electricity ran through his veins and Hazel gasped. "Arion!"

"What?" Nico asked.

Leo yelped in excitement. "It's her horse, man! You missed the whole part. We haven't seen him since Kansas!"

Nico looked between the two demigods, but Hazel didn't seem in the mood to explain. Instead, she watched as her horse grew closer to the ship.

"We have to meet him," she said. "He's here to help."

"Yeah, okay," Leo said. "But we talked about not landing the ship on the ground anymore, remember? You know, with Gaea wanting to destroy us and all."

"Just get me close, and I'll use the rope ladder," Hazel said. "I think Arion wants to tell us something."

Nico glanced away but let her do what she wanted. When she was on the ground, she hugged the horse and began petting its mane.

"Hazel!" he yelled down. "What's going on?"

"It's fine!" she called up. "Arion wants to take us somewhere!"

"Um..." Leo pointed North. "Please tell me he's not taking you into that."

Nico looked where Leo had pointed, frowning at the dark storm and funnel like cloud. He could remember his mother's voice, remember the warning she gave about funnel clouds.

"I'll be okay!" Hazel answered. "Stay put and wait for me!"

"Wait for how long?" Nico asked. "What if you don't come back?"