Gealltanas (Promise)

Anna

Thinking of Daniel always makes my heart race but today it is beating harshly against my chest.  We have waited our entire lives for this but I'm terribly fearful of our first night together.  He promised to be gentle and I trust him but I've never shown my body to a man, let alone a priest.  The bedding ritual has me scared as they will all be watching.

Daniel assured me I could wear my shift and he would protect me as much as possible but that doesn't calm me.  I was warned of the physical pain that comes with consummation after your vows but Miss Fitzgibbons says if a man is gentle it's no more than a sting and burn for just a few moments. 

Daniel laughed when he said it will only take a few quick moments but he will take his time with me after tonight.  My mother watched as the tiara she wore to her own wedding was placed upon my head. 

"Our guests are waiting." She offered me her hand.  "You will take their breaths away." She placed a kiss upon my cheek.

The king himself, my father, met us at the doors of the cathedral and took my arm.  "I have no question your future king will be loyal, my princess.  Love is rare within a royal household but you, my dear, have been blessed by God himself."

The choir started and we took our steps forward, my father leading me into my future with the man I've dreamed of since I could form memories. 

He chased me through fields as children, held my hand when I was scared and has always been my prince.  Everyone stood and bowed as my father passed by with his oldest daughter on his arm. 

My heart beat faster and harder when Daniel came into view.  I've witnessed many weddings and I've never seen a man look at his future bride the way Daniel looks at me.  We are not like the rest, not like the many arranged marriages I've witnessed.  I even saw a young woman dragged to the altar and here I am nearly sprinting into Daniels' arms.

"Keep your pace, my dear, he isn't going to run away." My father patted my hand and gave me a gentle smile. 

Finally, my hand was placed into a much larger one and I looked up into Daniels big blue eyes.  No words were necessary before we turned to face the priest. 

Our entire ceremony was spoken in Gaelic as we made promises only husbands and wives could make to each other.  We turned to face our witnesses and were announced as husband and wife.  There is no kiss like in many lands, ours will be saved for later after the loss of my virtue is witnessed. 

It was a very proper wedding for a future king and queen but I have a feeling there will be nothing proper about our night after our witnesses leave our quarters.  I blushed at the thought of spending our night alone.  Daniel has made many promises that may be seen as only improper for a girl of my station.  He promised tonight would make me a woman and possibly even the mother of his heir.

The priest and physician followed us out of the cathedral then our guests will celebrate our union without our presence.  His hand is sweaty which tells me he is just as nervous as I am which, in a way, comforts me. 

We now have a joint room where he and I will separately be undressed for the occasion but before we were separated he reminded my ladies in waiting and our two witnesses of their promise not to see me nude.  He worries for my comfort as something very precious will be given to him tonight. 

One spot of blood will signify our union but if that doesn't exist there will be an examination so Daniel has concocted a plan to puncture himself to spare me the shame of an examination. 

As my ladies undressed me I noticed my body shaking in fear.  I had to set that aside to do my duty as a new wife and princess.  There will be no question of our union, we will not allow anyone to doubt our commitment. 

Once I was finally undressed down to my shift I sat at my vanity while my hair was released and brushed.  The knock on my door signified my time was over so I stood and waited for my new husband. 

When the door opened my handsome dark-haired knight entered with his men behind him.  Miss Fitzgibbons will stay but the rest will leave. 

"Ladies, you may take your leave," Daniel said. 

He stands before me in nothing but his nightshirt, which I have seen before when he snuck into my room a few nights ago.  He offered nothing but a peck on the lips and to hold my hand but it still felt naughty.  I know he was fighting desires but we both fought our desires to save them for this night. 

The door shut loudly behind my ladies and Daniel took both my hands.  His palms are still sweaty and he looked into my eyes.  "No fears, I keep my promises, Annalise."

He led me to our marital bed and we both sat.  "May I have just one moment alone with my bride?" He asked.

"Time is of the essence, son.  Please do continue." The physician said as they looked on.

"I'm sorry." He said before he stood in front of me and looked down with concern.  "Lay back, please." He said and I shifted onto the bed as he crawled on top of me.

His eyes looked down into mine.  "I love you." He whispered and his apprehension is apparent.

"I love you." My body shakes under his just as his body shifts between my legs and he reaches down to move my shift out of his way. 

A bang then the sound of the door opening.

"How dare you!" The priest yelled and Daniel jumped away to cover me.

"Apologies sir, but his majesty is needed promptly!  The dark king is about to attack just outside our walls!" My new husband's private secretary was already handling my husband his clothes.

"How far?" Daniel started for his room quickly. 

"We may have a quarter hour at most!" The man helps Daniel dress as he had clothes on hand.

"Stay with your guards, Anna.  If God himself blesses this union I'll be back to claim you." He leaned down and cupped my face before he gave me my first real kiss then pulled away.  "Do as you are told."

"Stay with me." I didn't care who saw me in my shift and I climbed off the bed to beg him.  The dark king's attack is my worst fear and he can't leave me.

My ladies walked in the room as the priest yells at Daniel to quickly take me but he is ignored.

"I promise to return, now get dressed and go with the guards to safety." He pulled away and quickly he is gone as my ladies threw my wedding dress back in me with no proper corset or garments. 

Don't you think just having the couple sign something saying it was consummated should be enough?  Geesh!