6

past time

year 12 - beginning of school year

Its been a month since year 12 started. This whole summer, Luke's been distancing himself from Jace, saying things like, "I have band stuff to do," or "I have family stuff".

He hasn't answered her calls, sometimes even her texts. Jace has been a mess over this; especially with her parents always on her back.

"Luke!" my girlfriend Aleisha screamed, running to me. I smiled, opening my arms.

She ran into them, jumping up and wrapping her legs around my waist.

"I missed you," She mumbled, kissing my lips. I had just seen her yesterday. She's acting like I haven't seen her all summer, when she's been calling and texting me to go out on a date, all summer.

"I missed you too, babe." I said back. I set her down, grabbing her hand with mine.

"Luke?" A familiar voice called out to me. I turned my head to the source, seeing Jace.

"J-Jace," I breathed out. She looked different; her hair grew longer, but it was no longer the beautiful auburn color she had, now it was a dyed dirty blonde color. Her eyes were still the same, but you could tell she put on a bit of make up. She got a bit taller as well, she looked about up to my chin now. She was wearing a flowery crop top, and high wasted shorts that seemed to be acid wash.

She looked like a replica of Aleisha.

"I haven't seen you all summer," She gasped out, taking a step forward. "I really missed-" she glanced at Aleisha, then at our hands.

"Hi," Aleisha smiled, stepping forward. "I'm Aleisha, Luke's girlfriend." She had a fake smile on, holding out her hand.

Jace shook it. "I'm Jace, Luke's best friend."

Aleisha laughed. "Best friend? When he's been avoiding you all summer?" She cackled.

"Aleisha," I groaned.

"I-Is this true?" Jace turned to me, her big eyes watering.

"Yes! Yes, for God sakes, its so true! You're so fucking weird, its embarrassing! I wouldn't blame Luke for avoiding you." She laughed. I yanked back Aleisha, glaring at her.

"What are you doing?" I whispered harshly.

"Little girl needs to know the truth." She smirked, turning back to Jace.

"I-I don't understand Luke," She stuttered. "We've always liked our strangeness together, why-"

"Don't you get it?" Aleisha laughed. "He doesn't like your weirdness anymore. He's changed."

Jace looked at Aleisha, then back at me. Her face turned pale, and she nodded, gulping.

"Luke.. is this true?"

Aleisha smirked at me, while Jace looked at me with hopeful eyes.

I scratched my neck, avoiding Jace's gaze. "Well-I just-I kinda," I sighed. "Yeah."

And when I looked up, she was gone.