Chapter Twenty: Saying Goodbye

Sergio pressed a kiss to Bailey’s bare shoulder, he sighed as he held his girlfriend close as he looked around the room; they would be moving to a new apartment soon and he couldn’t wait.

Bailey was everything that he had ever wanted, he was so happy and content and it felt odd that he was going to be away from her soon; he would be leaving with the national team today for the world cup.

Sergio carefully climbed out of bed and looked at his girlfriend, they had been together for nearly three months now; he just wished that he had more time with her.

Bailey would be going to London to visit her parents in two weeks and Sergio hoped that when she came back that he would be returning from Brazil; he wasn’t sure what was going to happen while they were away from one another.

Sergio ran a hand through his hair as he looked at his suitcase, he would leave that afternoon and he didn’t like it; he wasn’t able to bring Bailey or Una with him and he would have to cope without them.

“Sese,” Bailey murmured rolling over and looked at her boyfriend, her voice thick with sleep as she rubbed her green eyes confused about why he was awake.

Bailey rushed her fingers through her red hair, she peeked at the clock curious as to why he was awake; it was six o’clock in the morning and he had hours before he had to leave.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Sergio mused watching Bailey stretched, he loved her and he was sure that when he came back that everything was going to be okay.

Bailey sighed wrapping her arms around Sergio, she rested her chin on his shoulder as she looked at their suitcases; it wasn’t going to be easy and they would be apart for several weeks.

***

“I’m going to miss you,” Sergio whispered holding Una in his arms, he cuddled her as he wondered if she would look any different when he saw her again; he hoped not since he didn’t want to miss her growing up.

Bailey crossed her arms as she smiled softly at her boyfriend and daughter, it was going to be a difficult month for them and she was sure they would be fine.

“You be good for your madre,” Sergio said cuddling Una, she was his little girl and he was going to do his best for her; he closed his eyes as he tried to keep calm.

Una had no idea what was going on and she was five months old now, something that made Sergio a little more nervous; he had been reading a lot of baby books and he had time-lined all the big things she was meant to do.

Bailey had been surprised how attached Sergio had become to Una and she felt her heart warm curious about what would happen next.

Marcus kept insisting that he wouldn’t be surprised if Sergio popped the question before the end of the year or got her pregnant; the Sevillian was serious about Bailey and it was only a matter of time.

“It’ll be okay,” Bailey said stepping forward, she was sure that they would be fine and when she saw them again; they would go away on a nice holiday.

Sergio nodded opening his brown eyes and looked at Bailey, he held Una to him as he wondered how he had gotten to lucky; she was perfect for him and he had a feeling that things would move quickly for them.

“I’ll call every night,” Sergio said looking down at Una, she stared up with him with big brown eyes making him smile; it was easy to see why people thought that the little girl was his daughter.

“And I’ll skype when I can,” Sergio said pressing a kiss to Una’s head, he was sure that he could manage especially since his team-mates were leaving their children behind as well.

Una pouted a little making Sergio smile, he was going to leave soon and he wanted to take every moment that he could with him; he was determined to make sure that everything was okay.

“I love you,” Bailey said stepping forward and kissed Sergio softly, she brushed her fingers through his hair; he had to get going since she doubted the manager would be pleased if Sergio delayed the flight.

Sergio smiled as he reluctantly handed Una back to Bailey, he didn’t like this and the feeling in his tummy made him feel unsettled.

“I love you too… both of you,” Sergio said shouldering his bag, they were his family and he was always going to see them as such.

Bailey smiled as she gave Sergio another kiss, she would miss him and she was sure that Una would as well; the last few months had been amazing.

“I’ll be home soon,” Sergio whispered pulling back, he could hear Vicente calling and he wasn’t going to be able to put off leaving anymore.

Bailey swallowed offering a smile to her boyfriend, she wasn’t sure when she would see him again but she knew he would do his best during the world cup and then they would have weeks before he was due back at training.

***

Sergio ran a hand through his hair as he looked out of the window on the plane, he closed his eyes as he watched it take off and leave Spain behind; there was a couple of friendly matches before the tournament.

Sergio couldn’t believe that he was going to be gone for weeks, he wasn’t sure how any of his team-mates coped with being away from their own families.

“You okay?” Fernando asked looking at his best friend, he had never seen Sergio like this and he hadn’t even met the new girlfriend; he frowned wishing that he knew what was going on in Sergio’s life.

Living in London did have it’s draw backs and Fernando had only heard about the fall-out to his relationship with Pilar; it had been a nasty shock for everyone.

“I’ve been better,” Sergio murmured opening his eyes, he was already missing Bailey and Una; he always did when he had to travel but this was worse.

Fernando sighed wondering how his best friend had gotten caught up in this, he was only a little glad that Sergio hadn’t gone through with his promise never to love again; he just worried he was growing too attached to his new girlfriend and his daughter.

“How do you cope?” Sergio asked looking at Fernando, he had left his wife and children behind and he was curious about why his friend had gotten so attached to the new woman in his life.

“It’s not easy,” Fernando said watching his friend as he wondered how he could slowly give his friend some independence; he didn’t want Sergio to break when Bailey grew tired of him and dumped him.

Sergio nodded his head as he leant back in his seat, he could see that Fernando was worried about him; everyone was especially about how quick his relationship had moved with Bailey.

“I’m really happy Nando… por favor don’t make me regret it,” Sergio whispered watching his friend, he chewed on his lip as Fernando stared at him; he wanted to make his friend understand how he felt about Bailey and Una.

Fernando slowly nodded his head, he couldn’t help but feel nervous about all of this; he didn’t know what he would do if something happened to his friend, he didn’t want to see him hurt.

Fernando nodded his head as he prayed that Sergio wasn’t being used and that this was something real.