Scene Two

(At rising, we see Alivia entering the stage through the side door. She is carrying her suitcase to downstage left where Jasper is now standing. About half of the ensemble people remain on stage.)

ANNOUNCER: The following stops have been cancelled: Pleasant Lake, Parsons, and Kernersville.

(Alivia doesn't notice Jasper as she looks around her in confusion.)

JASPER:(Looks over at her.) Did you meet the stars?

ALIVIA:(Startled, she drops her suitcase as she turns to face Jasper.) Jasper? (Holds a hand over her heart.) What are you doing here?

(Jasper walks over to one of the ensemble cast, grabs a new newspaper off their sleeping body. He goes back to Alivia and sits on his suitcase, opening the paper.)

ANNOUNCER: Attention, all passengers. The next train will be arriving in 15 minutes.

JASPER: I've been here, waiting for you, darling.

ALIVIA: Would you quit calling me that? (Crosses her arms.) I'm not your darling.

JASPER:(Sends a cheeky smile over the top of the newspaper.) Whatever you say, sweetheart. (Goes back to reading the paper.)

(Alivia huffs in frustration, she turns and picks up her suitcase. She begins to walk away.)

JASPER:(Raises voice.) Say doll, you never answered my question.

ALIVIA:(Stops in her tracks and sighs, turning back to face the man as she places her suitcase back down.) What question?

JASPER:(Looks up from the paper.) Did you ever meet the stars? And your mother? Did you see her?

ALIVIA:(Looks at the man confused. She looks around the train station before turning her gaze back to him as she scratches head in confusion.) No, I must of gotten on the wrong train or something...

JASPER:(Sighs, standing up from his spot and walking over to Alivia, the newspaper in hand.) I can assure you that you did no such thing.

ALIVIA:(Scoffs.) And how would you know if I got on the wrong train or not?

JASPER: What was the date and time when you got on that train?

ALIVIA: October 21, 1923, around 12 am, I believe.

JASPER: And how long do you think you were on that train?

ALIVIA: Why is that relevant?

JASPER: Please... just humour me for a moment.

ALIVIA:(Shakes head.) I don't know...(Pause.) An hour or two.

JASPER:(Gestures to the paper.) Read the date and time on the paper.

ALIVIA:(Takes the paper and reads it.) November 4, 1923. (Shakes head.) I don't....I don't understand. (Stumbles.) How could I have been gone for that long?

ANNOUNCER: Attention, all passengers. The next train will be arriving in 10 minutes.

(Alivia throws the newspaper on the ground, rushing over to an ensemble character.)

JASPER: I told you, doll. This isn't your everyday train station.

ALIVIA:(Ignores him.) Excuse me, sir?