Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Five

Perhaps the library they were visiting would have a book on how, precisely, to be a maid. A guide on the correct things to do and say—emphasis on say. Certainly something with the unspoken rules of servitude would be ideal, because Addie was sure that she had broken almost every one of those rules within the past twenty-four hours.

Somehow, Addie was doubtful that such a manuscript existed.

Between the bouts of inappropriate banter on their carriage ride across town, Addie had decided she would spend today keeping her mouth shut. Shut as in: fastened, padlocked, barred, latched, and securely sealed. Well, at least on topics of royal information.

Once the Duke of Kingfield realized that she had nothing else to say on the matter, he would leave her alone, and these feelings of nervousness could leave her. Because despite His Grace's benign disposition, she could tell there was something he wasn't telling her about his true motivations for this "research."

They arrived at the home of a gentleman by the name of Lord Clemonte—a name she didn't recognize. His Grace had informed her before walking to the front door that Lord Clemonte was well-known as a book collector, and after stepping into his private library, Addie did not doubt that.

While Kingfield House's collection of books had been impressive, Lord Clemonte's was positively grand. Part of it, Addie reckoned, was that it was clear simply by glancing at the room that there was more than the occasional perusal of a book happening inside.

Every spine had been dusted to perfection, gleaming against the light coming in through the drapes. The rows were packed so tightly with books that new stacks had started to form upon the floors. While that had appeared disorderly at first, the rows and stacks had been organized by genre.

Awestruck, Addie moved around the room, taking in title after title of written work, trailing her fingers along the edges of a shelf and loving the way they didn't leave a trace. There was meticulous care put into this library. She passed sections on war history, newspapers chronicled by year, seemingly rare editions of the Bible, and even a section dedicated entirely to Gothic novels, such as The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe.

"Surely this must be worth a fortune," Addie commented, spinning on one heel to face the duke again. "I didn't realize that a baron's income was so generous."

"He has means of income other than what his title allows," he replied with muffled words, his head bent in the task of taking out and putting on reading spectacles.

Addie let a barely restrained chuckle slip out at the sight of him.

"What?" he said, indignant and bespectacled.

"I did not realize you were so old to require spectacles, Your Grace," she said, another small laugh escaping.

He simply raised a brow in response and said, "Looks can be deceiving."

Addie undoubtedly agreed with that.

And the duke seemed to be similarly considering his words, tilting his head to the side as he peered down at her. Those green eyes of his raked her frame, and Addie attempted to fight a rising blush from reaching her cheeks. But Kingfield then broke the tension, flashing her a heart-stopping smile.

It was with that grin that Addie realized the Duke of Kingfield was, well, nice. And for the last two years, Addie had not been shown kindness by very many people. Certainly not by dukes, anyhow. Dukes that looked at her in a way that made her cheeks flush and palms sweat. Dukes that listened to her intently as she spoke. Dukes that gave her heated smiles.

She considered that for a moment and wondered what it meant.

Addie knew she had certain charms that had often been the underlying reason for special attention. But recently her charms had only gotten her snide comments and unwanted gropes that were unapologetic, as if to say it was merely the expectation of what to receive for a woman such as herself, a woman of the working class. Not a lady, simply a girl. The Duke of Kingfield, on the other hand, had shown her respectful niceties as though she were a lady. She found it confusing, as Addie Singleton was not, in fact, a lady.