#17: Marry Me

And I know her daddy's been dreading this day,
Oh, but he don't know he ain't the only one giving her away...

***

The saddest poems are the ones that will never be read by those who they were written for.

***

Love isn't always so calculated. It's not logics and numbers and sometimes there's absolutely no sort of explanation as to why you love someone.

It's almost like cupid covers his eyes and blindly shoots his arrows in a random direction, hoping for the arrows to land on someone whom you'll desire.

Someone you want.

Then, in some instances, the inevitable happen.

Heartbreak, and you know what's worst than heartbreak?

It's the aftermath that kills you. It's the waking up and grabbing your phone expectantly because you thought you had a text message from them. It's the going to call them, but then realising that you no longer can.

It's the watching them love someone else, and of course you want them to be happy. You really do, but you just hoped that it was with you.

Its hearing them talk about someone else and you just have to smile and laugh, despite the fact that its tearing you apart on the inside. All the while you're choking back sobs.

Its not just missing the person, but rather missing the one you would talk about your day with, about that silly little thing you saw whilst you were walking the streets.

But now, these days you have no one to hold you while you're crying your eyes out in the shower.

Getting your heart broken is always hard, but the worst part is the day after.

***

"Camila?"

To say Lauren was shocked would be mildly putting it. She had just returned from being abroad for a little over five years and she hadn't seen her childhood best friend since. They had always kept in contact, but over time, the constant conversations had diminished. "What...what are you doing here?"

Camila paid no mind to that and pulled Lauren into her arms. "God, Laur. It's been forever." Lauren reciprocated the hug once Camila had wrapped her arms around her. "Hi." She smiled once they pulled away.

"Hey."

"You're probably wondering how I knew you were back home," Camila told her, she had that damned smile that always made Lauren's heart beat faster than it usually did, on her lips. "But you know how news spread in Via Cavour. Can I come in?"

Lauren nodded, and stepped aside. It was still a shock to see Camila here, before her. They had video chatted, but it wasn't exactly the same thing as having the person before you. "It's nice to see you again, Camzii."

Camila smiled as she took a seat on Lauren's couch. "It feels good to hear you call me by that. It's been so long." She patted the seat next to her. "How was life in America? Anything compared to Italy?"

Lauren shrugged. "It was a nice change, but I missed home so much. I missed you." There was an underlying meaning to what Lauren had said, but she couldn't find it within herself to be honest and tell Camila how she truly felt.

"Aw," Camila took Lauren's hand in hers. "I missed you too! I'm so glad to have you back. I honestly missed my best friend."

"Speaking of best friend," Lauren stood, "I'll be right back." She disappeared up the stairs and came back down within a couple of minutes, a velvet box in hand. "I got you something. And before you say anything, you have to take it because I've missed so many birthdays and other important occasions. Consider it a late gift for everything."