Chapter 3: Arriving in Astoria!

17 HOURS LATER, 8:00 AM

SAULI'S POV:

We passed the sign that said Now Entering Astoria, Oregon. I smiled and sighed, we finally made it. I looked over at Adam, who was asleep with Pharoah curled up on his lap. I laughed a little, then remembered what had been happening almost every time he slept. I really hoped he wouldn't get another nightmare. Although I figured that I should probably wake him up anyways. He loved looking out the window at the scenery. I reached over and gently shook him, not taking my eyes off the road as I did so.

"Adam, baby, we're here." I said in a soft voice.

He opened his eyes slowly and squinted at the sunlight shining through the car window. He yawned.

"Already?" He asked, while looking out the window. "How long was I asleep?"

"I would say, judging by how quiet you were for so long, about 20 minutes." I told him.

"Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" He asked, shocked.

"I didn't realize you were asleep until just a few minutes ago." I said, shrugging.

"Oh." He said in a quiet voice. "Okay."

I hear him sniff, so I gave him a quick glance and saw that he was crying silently.

"Adam, did I say something wrong?" I asked him, trying to figure out what I had said.

"No." He said. "It's just that, the nightmare was just beginning when you woke me up. And I really didn't want to get into it again, so I'm just glad you woke me when you did. Thank you."

I smiled, glad I was able to save him from another bad dream.

"You're welcome baby." I said. "Glad I could help."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small light coming from the dashboard. The fuel light was on. I swore under my breath. Adam looked at me.

"Sauli, what's wrong?" He asked me with a worried look on his face.

"We're almost out of gas." I told him. "Could you please look on your phone and find the nearest gas station?"

"Sure hon." He said, pulling out the cell phone. He opened Google Maps and started typing into the search bar. "There's one about 5 minutes from us. It's called Gas and More. Do you want to try to make it there?"

"Well, it's not like we have much of a choice." I said with a small laugh. "Could you start the directions, please?"

"Of course my love." He said, hitting the start button. The automated voice immediately started giving me directions to the place.

****

5 minutes later.

ADAM'S POV

We made it to the gas station just as the car ran out of fuel completely. We pulled up to the pump and Sauli started to unbuckle his seatbelt and open the door, but I stopped him.

"Sauli, baby." I began. "Why don't you sit and relax, I'll fill it up and drive the rest of the way to the campground. How does that sound?"

He smiled at me.

"I would appreciate that." He said in a tired voice. "Thank you Adam. I was worried about falling asleep at the wheel anyways."

"Anything for you honey." I said, leaning over to kiss him.

He and I got out of the car, and while he got into the passenger seat, I was putting gas in the tank. I was leaning against the side of the vehicle, minding my own business while quietly humming Better Than I Know Myself, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to look behind me and found a group of three people, all girls, standing behind me. One of the girls, who looked to be about 20, spoke first.