Chapter #5

The weekend of Melissa's barbecue arrives. Hale prepares a list of the things he'll need to run by her. Thankfully, an extra sum of money from her ex-husband appeared in her account earlier that day, so she's not bothered by the cost of food and alcohol for the party. The only part she balks at is the inclusion of paper cups, plates, and cutlery.

"Why would I need disposable plates when I have you to wash the good ones? And it'll be nice to show off the china Hector and I got as a wedding present all those years ago. May he rot in hell."

Mentions of Melissa's ex-husband were often followed with curses of this ilk. Hale, in his efforts to comply with Melissa's requests to 'lighten up,' would sometimes voice agreement with these sentiments. He hadn't quite worked up to tacking on his own insults yet.

"Yes, he'd hate that," Hale says this time and is rewarded with a smile from Melissa.

He pays for the groceries via network link and prepares the house for guests. Melissa spends the morning sunbathing on the back porch while Hale serves her a litany of vegetable crudités, crackers, and hummus, along with her usual gin and tonic. An hour later, the grocery delivery arrives by drone on their doorstep.

Hale finds meal preparation and sorting through grocery deliveries to be one of the more satisfactory tasks of his usual chores. It pleases him to arrange the refrigerator with the most colourful fruits and vegetables at the front and to plan their meals around the sell-by dates and the days Melissa will require the most energy. It's rewarding in the same way as ticking things off his to-do list.

The first guests arrive just as Hale finishes wrapping the steaks in a garlic marinade. He sets them in the refrigerator to cook later. Melissa instructed him to greet her guests and introduce himself. As he approaches the door, he hears voices arguing outside.

A nasal woman's voice says, "You can never just—ugh! You're such a pig."

Hale opens the door before the argument continues. He scans the first guests to glean their names. The first two are Mark and Pauline De Reuiter, neighbours who live in the cul-de-sac. Mark, a man with the look of a retired wrestler, stands on the porch looking faintly relieved at the interruption. His wife, Pauline, elegantly dressed in a floral dress and pink pumps, scowls at the side of Mark's head. Her head snaps around the moment the door opens, a faint, confused smile replacing the scowl. Behind them, looking like anybody would after witnessing a domestic spat, stands Briony, Melissa's best friend. Her rosy cheeks and crows feet give her the appearance of a woman who smiles often, and she does so now, albeit in a strained fashion.

"Come in, come in," says Hale. They bustle inside. "Let me introduce myself. My name is Hale. I'm Melissa's new BioAndroid, and I'll be taking care of food and refreshments this evening."

Mark whistles. "This must have cost Missy a fortune," he says.

"I hate it when you call her that. Her name's Melissa," Pauline gripes.

"Missy likes her nickname, though, don't you Missy!"

At that moment, Melissa comes down the stairs. Briony minces over to draw her into a big hug and a kiss on each cheek. Melissa hugs the other two and welcomes them but with less fervour than her friend.

Retreating to the kitchen after taking everyone's drink order, Hale can still hear Mark's voice, loud and boisterous, pressing Melissa for information about androids. How much they cost, any hidden fees, how that whole symbiosis thing works. On this last question, Mark seems most interested, but Melissa just laughs.

"Oh Mark, you know I haven't got a clue how my refrigerator runs, let alone my android."

Hale returns with drinks. An IPA for Mark, a shandy for Pauline, and Cosmopolitans for Briony and Melissa.