Cha Cha with a Chimera

"Thanks for saving me, by the way," I said to Peter as we walked through the halls of Midtown high, on our way to gym class.

"Hm?" Peter asked, snapping out of a daze. "What was that?"

"I said thanks. You know, f-for saving me." I said while tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. Did I just stutter? And am I... blushing? Percy Jackson does NOT stutter. I quickly looked at my feet to hide my blush.

"Oh, that? It was nothing. But, you're welcome I guess." Peter said.

"God, you guys are more awkward than two freshmen on a first date." retorted Ned, coming out of nowhere. "Have you guys heard of the new superhero? She's called Doublecross. She's pretty badass."

"How do you know it's a she?" I asked.

"Because, she had like, big boobs," Ned answered. I smacked him on the back of the head.

"Ned!" We all started laughing as we arrived at gym class.

"Listen up, everybody! Today we are going to play dodgeball. Everybody get in a line, hurry up!" We all stumbled into a straight line as he split up students into two randomly. "Alright, the people you are standing next to are your teammates. Now, line up against the wall and when I blow my whistle you may run up and retrieve a ball. Ready, set, go!" The coach blew his whistle and I bolted to the front retrieving about 5 rubber balls and ran back to the back, giving random teammates 4 of the balls.

I faced the other team to find a ball zooming towards my chest. I quickly threw the ball I was holding to a teammate and caught the ball, making the person that threw it out. After dodging and throwing the balls, I soon found Peter and I the only ones left on the team while there were about 7 on the other. I threw a ball at a girl and purposely missed, catching her off guard and threw another one, hitting her chest. I looked over and saw Peter catch a ball that was coming at him, making it 5 against 2. I was about to throw another ball when I heard a roar that I knew too well.

Then, the Chimera charged into the room.

"Oh, come on!" I whined, pulling out riptide. By this time, the school had already announced on the speakers that there was a monster in the gym and that they were having a lockdown. The whole gym class had started pounding on the doors, them being automatically locked because of the lockdown. I turned around and faced everyone and told them instructions. "Everybody! Calm down! Go and hide under the bleachers while I handle- oomf." I was interrupted by the Chimera jumping on top of me, pinning me under his claws. I yelled in agony as his talons sunk deep into my back.

"Where's that demigod Valdez when you need him?!" I heard Flash yell. As if on cue, Leo crashed in through the window with his dagger. He saw me under the Chimera and his eyes widened.

"P-Percy?" He asked, tears welling in his eyes.

"Reunion later! Get this thing off me!" I groaned as the Chimera's claws sunk deeper in my skin. Leo ran up to the Chimera and stupidly threw his dagger at it. It bounced off its nose and it looked up at Leo. The Chimera stepped off of me and started towards Leo. I got up and ran towards Leo. I stood in front of him protectively and the Chimera roared again. I chucked riptide down its throat at it began choking. Soon, the Chimera disappeared into golden dust as I turned around and faced Leo. He had tears rolling down his face as he looked into my eyes.

"Is it really you?" he whispered as I felt my own tears rolling down my cheeks. I nodded and engulfed him in a hug, sobbing into his chest. He clung to me for dear life, just in case I would disappear if he let go. I had missed my best friend so much. I released and I noticed the unbearable pain in my back.

"My back hurts..." I muttered before everything went black.

~*~

I really hope you guys liked this one! Also, I'm sorry for such slow updates, I've been busy this summer. But, I promise I'll update more in the future! Also, can we take note that this book has ALREADY 1K READS?! Thank you guys so much, I don't know what I did to deserve all my readers. Anyways, Peace!

~Savannah

(Word count: 762)