45

MARCH — UNKNOWN LOCATION — 11:52 PM

Pepper stood in front of the door. Tyler, Monica and Marcus were all asleep, she had made sure of it. She tightly clutched the straps of her backpack, which contained only a few things, such as money. She had already snuck out, granted with help, but still. She shouldn't have been feeling so nervous.

Tyler had plain-out forbid her from leaving again without telling Monica and Marcus. She knew doing so was suicide for her plan. If Tyler wasn't going to help her, she'd have to go on her own.

Pepper was no hero. She wasn't one to risk her ass to save people—that was Rylie's job. She was the one behind the scenes, making sure the hero wasn't going to get himself killed. But how was she supposed to be the one in the hero's ear when there was no hero?

This Teddy-guy seemed to know something. She remembered from his messages. Maybe he could help them figure out a way to save Rylie and Sav.

Pepper grabbed a pair of keys and locked the door behind her.

MARCH — AMO K-TRAINING ROOM — 2:03 PM

Madilyn sat in the training room, cleaning her weapons. While cleaning wasn't her favourite thing to do, she needed something to do. 2833's execution had been constantly put off, and it only made her madder. She didn't care that 2832 knew things. 2832 betrayed them and deserved a sooner death.

Harpo walked in. He stared at her for a moment, as he had come in an hour ago to her doing the same thing, then walked over. "Have you moved since I last saw you?"

"There's a lot of weapons," she replied, knowing fully well he wouldn't take that as an answer.

"That's not an answer." There it was.

She glared at him as he took a seat across from her. "No, I haven't moved."

He sighed. "Listen, Madilyn, you can't stay like this. Doing nothing. Her death will come and she'll deserve every piece of it, we just have to be patient."

"It won't come soon enough," she snapped, whipping the cloth to the ground. "Not only did she hurt me, but she hurt you. And Sean. You two are like my family, and I will fucking murder anybody who harms you."

He closed his eyes and exhaled. "I know you're angry. Trust me, I've felt it, too." She went quiet during his pause, knowing fully well what came next. "When they killed my brother,  I just wanted to do..." His jaw set. "Terrible things. I wanted to do terrible things to them. But I had to be patient, until I captured them and killed them slowly as they had my brother and almost me."

Madilyn was reminded of the story he had told her about his path to the AMO. She recalled how fondly he spoke of his younger brother, Mitch. Harpo had made deals with bad people, and when he couldn't hold up his side of the bargain, both him and his brother were kidnapped and brought to a lake house. There, Harpo had to watch as they preformed various techniques of torture on Mitch, enough to cause serious pain but none enough to kill him.

Afterwards, there were both brought out to the lake, where they almost drowned his brother many times—dunking his head underwater until he stopped struggling, then brought him back up until he breathed, only to repeat. They finally let him die, dropping his body on the sand. Then, Harpo was stabbed twice in each leg, then in the arms, and drowned as well. The authorities finally appeared and were able to bring Harpo back, but were unsuccessful with Mitch.