CHAPTER ONE

The day started out like any other weekday. Who knew it would be my last day of freedom?

It was a Monday, right after a great weekend camping with my friends. I love the outdoors, and I especially love Golden Lake. The oaks and birches there are huge, maybe even centuries old, and yesterday the air had been clear and especially fresh, with a misty fog emanating from the lake. Lit by the morning sun, it had glowed a luminous golden pink, as if alive...

"He was staring at you."

I yawned into my receiver. Liza always thought that guys were checking me out. "He was looking at anyone who had breasts and long hair."

"But he was especially interested in you!" She insisted. Her tone held a note of accusation. "I notice stuff like that, you know."

"Whatever, Liza. So he took a look, got a thrill, and moved on."

We were talking about some guy who had joined us at the lake. Nothing special about him. For example, when they missed me in the evening, he hadn't tried to find me. Instead, he just hung around camp.

"Okay, Aurora, but I thought he was kind of cute."

"Maybe, but I want more than 'cute.' But hey, I've got to go before the traffic gets bad. See you tonight. And thanks again—you're my guardian angel."

That last bit, by the way, was the truth. Whilst in the woods yesterday, I'd actually lost my way. I was on a little hike and came across a really unusual clearing: it was perfectly round, with lush green grass and strange shadows cast by the trees. I'd sat down and unexpectedly dozed off. When I awoke, I jumped up and headed back to the campsite, and ... that's when I realized I was lost. I found myself wandering around in a circle, always ending up at the clearing. It was as if every path I chose took me right back there. It was only the sound of Liza's terrified screams that broke this strange spell. And then she burst into the clearing, wrapped her arms around me, and crushed me to her chest like a python crushing its prey.

Ding! Ding! There went the coffee maker and the microwave, meaning coffee was ready, and so was my breakfast burrito. My workday morning was settling into its usual routine, which was breakfast on the run, then a splash of makeup on my pale face ‑ even paler than usual from lack of sleep ‑ dark pants and a fresh, light blouse. For whatever reason, this was the dress code for senior researchers. It didn't matter that 90% of the time I was in a white lab coat. And in the lab. And that the genes we were experimenting on didn't care what I was wearing - I really didn't need clothes at all as far as they were concerned.

Ah, the great outdoors.... As I sat in my car, my eyes strayed out the window. To be sure, we lived in a beautiful town, green, pretty. I can't complain. But the images from my weekend at the lake made me feel like something was missing from my life.

Like usual, the institute was buzzing with activity. As I rode the elevator upwards, I heard all the latest gossip and news. It came mostly from the men, who, contrary to the old stereotype, actually liked to gossip more than the women.

"Did you hear that Lab 5 is in hot water again?"

"Did you hear that Rostova had an abortion — a fling with her junior technician."

"... and they told him to just hand over his cash like a good boy. Yet another scammer!"

"Oh, Aurora, you're so pale! Didn't you sleep well?"

The last question came from Zina, our lead researcher. Around 60 years old, Zina puckered her lips, like usual, making them look like a withered prune below her thin eyebrows.

"I guess not, Zina," I flashed a mischievous smile. "I didn't sleep much, what with the orgy I hosted last night."

Yes, it was a typical day.