Chapter Five

I AWOKE to a wonderful feeling deep inside me. A soft flame was burning down low within. I ached all over, as if I'd been working out. I wanted to arch my back and stretch like a big cat. This probably had a lot to do with the hot male body pressed against me from behind. Doran....He had one arm wrapped around my waist with his hand cupping my breast, which tingled with excitement.

What was I in for, now? The role of a brood mare in heat? I tuned into what I was feeling and decided that, yes, I was really hot for this guy, but it was manageable. What a relief! A clear head was integral to my work.

I squirmed and started when Doran playfully pinched my nipple ‑ it sent shoots of lightning through me. I was already kicking at him, trying to free myself in earnest when he reluctantly let me go. I turned over and found myself face to face with him — the source of my unabashed ecstatic screaming and the ensuing release.

Fortunately, my head wasn't spinning from a sudden rush of love and tenderness. The sex was amazing, no doubt about it, but my heart was still my own.

Silently, I looked at Doran in all his naked glory: the massive shoulders which I'd clutched in the throes of passion fueled by anger and pleasure, at his muscular arms, at the face with its edged features, too severe to be strictly handsome, but just the same remarkably compelling. What a faery. His dark eyes, nothing out of the ordinary now, were scrutinizing me, as always calmly and even a little lazily. And there wasn't a trace of the bite I'd given him on his lips. And I'd also scratched him rather seriously.

The silence dragged on, but I had an urgent need to "attend to business," so to speak. "Doran, I want to get to work sooner rather than later."

Yes, I know, quite the romantic opening after such a passionate night. In response, the King produced a wide smile. "Sounds good, Rory. So you're no longer in the mood to throw yourself at me?"

"I'm not saying that, but I can contain myself. And, of course, I'm taking heed of your counsel: I'll get to work, fulfill my mission here, and then be gone."

"How do you feel right now?"

I tuned into my body: I discerned a slight rumbling in my stomach and the need to get to the toilet right away. "I need to eat and also visit the bathroom."

Doran silently got up and left, not bothering to get dressed. I suspected, though, that this kind of thing was the norm around here. And I, too, slipped out of bed, and then gasped: It may be the norm, but I wasn't going to do likewise just yet. Quietly exclaiming, I bent over the dress which I somewhat gingerly picked up and held out in front of me. It wasn't exactly what I wanted to wear as I conducted experiments. Although, yes, it'd be perfect if I was a porno star playing the role of an alien scientist. I had to ask the King for something normal to wear, this was the first thing. Next, I had to talk about my working hours. The third item was to talk about how I could go about working with specimens. Yes, that's right, I'd already started referring to the faeries as 'specimens' and 'test subjects'. And by the way, there was, indeed, a place for thoughts about natural extinction. With qualifications, however. Why is it the process had begun in this world?

I dropped the dress back onto the floor, and, still naked, marched into the bathroom. I was beckoned by the rushing sound of the warm shower fashioned after a waterfall spilling down a cliff. I had to ask about the source of the water here. I felt strongly like I was really out in the wild here. And the dark stones of the 'cliff' were warm and covered in greenery. I could sit right on them and relax a bit.

I closed my eyes and thrust my face right into the warm water cascading down. My mood was almost serene after the sex. As for Doran, I'll exact my revenge, and then I'll forget about him. And my vengeance will be sharp and ever so exquisite. Because I don't care if it's for my own good, no one, but no one gets to treat me like a prized poodle.