Chapter Seven

HOW DO YOU go about drawing blood without looking suspicious?

This is what came to mind the next morning, as I stood under the waterfall-shower, trying not to groan due to all the aches and pains throughout my body. Sure, I'd had no deficit of sex in my life before I'd met Doran. But I don't recall ever having to fall out of bed on all fours the day after, practically crawling to the shower.

And yet just the slightest memory of it made my body light up with the desire to have another go at it. That's why I opted to think about drawing blood — I needed to banish thoughts of Doran from my mind. All the more so as that's what really mattered right now — the blood, I mean.

The problem was that in 'faeryland,' there was no concept of medical examinations and analyses and such. From talking with Haedyn, I understood that faeries would come to see him for issues such as amputations or disembowelments. Faeries were self-healing beings, just like dogs, except for extreme situations.

The hot shower did wonders. I could now breathe a bit easier and move about almost fluidly. I wondered who would be escorting me to the lab today.

I returned to the bedroom and hastily pulled on a vest and pants, braided my hair, and glanced into the mirror embedded in the wall, framed with dark green ivy. Hmmm...What to say? There was no hiding a wild night like I'd had. I cautiously touched my bruised red lips, and even thought it wasn't a bad look for me. Right, the "wanton wench" look.

The door creaked open and I turned around, expecting to see Doran or Haedyn. I certainly wasn't expecting Jioladh. Naturally, I was startled, and I spun around to face him. But the red-haired faery was calm and business-like. He was even dressed; when I'd seen him with Aerona, I could tell that he felt just fine without clothes. Now Jioladh favored the colors of the Court of Shadows: black and lilac with a hint of silver. Form-fitting dark pants, high boots and a vest that highlighted his masculine chest which was totally devoid of hair.

"Hello, Rory."

I was silent, not knowing what to expect. I'd found that with faeries it was best to listen. It didn't matter what Court he or she hailed from.

"I hope you didn't have any nightmares?" he went on, somewhat solicitously. "A mortal facing off with a Brollachan is no laughing matter. The mortal could go crazy from such an encounter."

"I'm fine."

"Can you tell me how you found yourself there?"

"Why don't you go first?" I asked, spontaneously.

"Me and Aerona?" Jioladh smiled, leaning on the door jamb and toying with his hair. "Aerona loves kinky places, you see. And what's kinkier than sex in a dungeon, with all sorts of creatures like the Brollachans wandering about? Doran keeps them around because they're part of the Hunt. And except for that, they live in the darkness, in the nether regions. But it's not advisable to go down there. So you're a lucky girl."

"They could've eaten me?" I asked, my voice faltering a bit. Those had been some foul-looking creatures. They vaguely reminded me of the Dementors in Harry Potter.

"That's right. They'd consume you," Jioladh nodded. "They eat everything that crosses their path. Including faeries. So you can imagine how I felt when Aerona dragged me down there."

I kept silent, having no desire to meddle in other people's proclivities. And mentally summoning Doran. Behind Jioladh, I suddenly saw the familiar Shadow that looked like a kitten. He slipped between Jioladh's legs and sat between him and me. I made a point of ignoring the shadowy beastie.

"I doubt if Doran would approve of your presence here."

Jioladh grinned wryly and nodded. "So true, mortal one. Do you want some advice?"