Chapter Ten

WHAT I EXPECTED to see was some sort of gladiator-type fighting. In fact, I wasn't too far off the mark, although I fell far short of the scale of the Games.

Although, to be sure, the size of the Arena should have clued me in. I had a great view from up in the royal box. It was awesome in every sense of the word.

I won't describe everything that happened — it'd be impossible. It was a blur of blood and magic, exultation and excitement, that saturated the atmosphere. Doran had mentioned that, outside of the games, duels were forbidden at his Court. So it was only once a year that anyone with a beef could challenge his or her opponent. It was no surprise, then, that there were a lot of quarrels being settled at the Games. Faeries are vindictive creatures.

They fought two by two, or in groups. Often, entire families took part. I tried to see when magic was used, but the only signs of it were wounds appearing out of nowhere, or else one or another combatant unexpectedly turning tail and fleeing. Nope, no abracadabra, no poofs of smoke, nothing. That being said, it was clear that the faeries were using a lot of magic. In fact, it was used as much as any other weapon, be they daggers or long swords.

I didn't see anyone get killed, but there were plenty of wounded. And there was one individual who sustained what had to be mortal injuries. His chest was split open, exposing his lungs.

Then there were two families whose children had decided to couple, but then fell out. There was also the young faery who ganged up with his friends to brutally rape a former lover. When his hacked up body, sans his penis, was carted out of the Arena, I confess to feeling a grim sort of satisfaction. But Doran told me that he'd eventually grow a new one, over half a decade, or so.

The King of Shadows explained a lot to me during the Games. Apparently, it wasn't considered bad form to chat with your toy. Meanwhile, none of the other VIPs in the royal box paid any attention to us. Their eyes were fixed on the action – the subjects of the Court of Shadows were taking part in serious combat. And their bestial blood-lust and exultation was palpable —I literally felt it in my skin. Even the Queen of the Seelie Court was totally engrossed, leaning forward and clutching the armrests. Her mouth agape, cheeks flushed and eyes shining, Ornia was totally engrossed in the Games. The Unseelie couple was equally mesmerized. Alright, maybe they weren't pumping their fists in the air, or shouting, but their flashing eyes, quivering nostrils and parched lips spoke volumes.

As for Dognat, like Doran, he remained outwardly calm. Although this impression was belied by his double-pronged member, which again was standing at attention.

"Why is it just once a year?" I asked quietly as one group was removed from the Arena, while the victors proudly basked in the accolades of the spectators.

"It gives the Shadows a real feast," Doran replied, his eyes still fixed on the events in the Arena, where a new match-up was about to start. Two tall, agile faeries were brandishing wickedly long blades.

Indeed, there was a huge multitude of Shadows about. They flew beneath the dome, glided along the stands, and behind Doran, a whole flock of them was rummaging about. And judging by how the others were nervously eyeing them, I wasn't the only one to notice.

"So you see, today we give the Shadows what they want from us. The emotions are ripe, pungent, fresh, and there are hordes of guests."

"Wait," I said in a barely audible whisper, "This kind of sacrificial offering really works?"

Doran cast a quick glance at me. And I knew that I was spot on.

And right then, Zephyr, who was still sitting on my lap, suddenly swelled to the size of a huge watermelon, and then he froze. I almost doubled over trying to look as if I didn't notice. It was hard, though. Zephyr looked ridiculous, like a fluffy ball with legs. Doran was even a bit bemused, and threw me another look. No, King. I have no idea there's a round kitten right there on my lap.