Chapter Twenty-Two: Out of the Forest into the Fire

Sir Wallace took up his customary post at the front of the warbands. Many were reluctant to give up their own horses for Sir Wallace, in spite of his position. They saw him as weak and fragile and deserving of no dereference. Sir Jonus decided to be the better man, as he was, and allow Sir Wallace to ride his war horse. Sir Jonus needed the walk, as he was filled with much anxious energy that he knew not what to do with. His actions did not go unnoticed by the Wild Boars, and they held him in higher esteem for that, and looked further down at Sir Wallace. Sir Wallace walked with Fuhrer Zerg at the back of the column, and they spoke little, as they each had little to say, save for comments about their size and strength.

Sir Wallace was in a daze. His power and authority was doubted by many of the slave knights, multiple times in the recent past. He lost his biggest and best motivator, Meister Kevin, and he had no one to truly trust in, as all looked at him with skepticism and doubt. Sir Winifred looked at him with sorrow and disdain. Sir Jabberjaw would not even mount jests against him. Durug and Sir Yashua had stayed clear of the cabal, preferring each other's company, but he could feel their enmity radiate off them. Sir Jessup was short and more oft than not dissociated with the battle commander. The Wenches also had their opinions as to Sir Wallace, all of which were slanderous and off putting (mainly about the smallness of his member).

He was truly alone, more than he had been for some time.

As they walked, Sir Wallace had seen the way Bogargz had stopped frequently to speak to trees here and there. Sir Wallace looked upon the trees as Bogargz spoke, but heard little response if any at all. The only thing of note that was heard from the trees were deep rumblings and creakings, as if the trees were breaking and falling. Bogargz did not respond in kind, but instead spoke in a foreign tongue, yet Sir Wallace felt as if he understood more words more often than he would have liked to admit. The words seemed the same as his own tongue, which made him question himself.

Am I a first speaker? He thought slightly befuddled and insecure. It was a thought that brought him further away from his own truth of Meister Kevin dying, letting down his warband by being a coward and weak, and just the sheer stupidity he had undergone since his loss. It was a nice vacation from the dreary mess that his mind had been enveloped in for some time. The thought had permeated his mind and he thought of the possibilities. He thought that he could change everything in every which way possible. That he could possibly undo the death of Meister Kevin. That he could instill some courage unto himself. That he could usher the entirety of the warbands to the Dagon without a problem. That he could solve all the problems that the slave knights had in an instant and move on toward greener pastures. It was a thought that settled his mind and the anxiety that had been bubbling in the depths of his bowels. No matter how foolish the thought of him being a first speaker was.

He thought to ask Bogargz of himself, and of the First Speech, and to unravel this mystery of theirs. Sir Wallace approached Bogargz reluctantly and Bogargz gave none of his attention to Sir Wallace. The fuhrie focused his attention toward the trees, and gave nothing to the slave knight. When there was a momentary lull in the "conversation" Sir Wallace decided to interject.

"Well met." Nothing. Bogargz gave Sir Wallace not the slightest of glances or the smallest bit of his attention. Bogargz continued to stride through the Forest of the Fuhries, with much attention given to the miraid of trees before them. They had strayed away slightly from the greater contingent of their group, with a sullen silence growing deeper between them. The wind spoke through them. The slight breezes rustling their leaves. The deep creaks and rumblings, causing soothing melodies. The resonances creating bliss in their minds and hearts, and Sir Wallace felt at peace, apart from his own racing thoughts. He remembered himself yet again and spoke louder this time.