A Confession

Desmond Park, an area in the town of Eden, is known by its residents as "a place to seek tranquillity". Adults would come to let go of their daily troubles for a moment of peace and self reflection. Kids would come to the playground for excitement and wonder. Diane Winters however, has a different reason for being there. The young woman is there because she is meeting with her fiance and childhood friend, Daniel Carter. A few weeks until they can enjoy their lives as a married couple, Diane requested Daniel to meet her here. Not because they will discuss the wedding arrangement or honeymoon. But Diane's inability to go through with it, not until sharing a confession.

Diane, sitting at a bench facing a nearby playground, is lost in deep thought. Wondering what Daniel's reaction will be upon hearing the revelation. Will he still see her as the same kind woman he fell in love with? Or condemn her? Noises from the side break her thoughts as she turns to the source and sees a casually dressed man approaching her.

"Hey" greeted the man as he approached the bench. He gave Diane a quick smile and hug as he sat down next to her. "I was surprised when I got your call this morning. Even more that you wanted to meet here. Did something happen?"

"No Daniel, I want to talk to you" Diane calmly said as she turned to look at the playground.

Daniel notice her expression, while blank, gave out a hint of sadness. "What's the matter? Is it about marrying me? I can wait if you want?"

"No No No, I want to but not until I tell you something" she reassured.

"Well, what is it?"

"My past"

"Your past?" asked Daniel, surprised that this may be what's causing her sorrow.

"You see, once I tell you my story, I wonder if you'll want to marry me?"

"Seriously?" Daniel now concerned, grabs her hand and squeezes it in comfort. "You know I'll never change my mind".

Diane stays quiet, still in deep thought as Daniel continues.

"What is all this about, Diane? You're acting strange today."

The question snaps her out of thoughts, she turns to him giving Daniel a surprised look.

"What do you mean?"

"Look where we are, Desmond Park. I've asked you several times to come here but you always decline. Yet here we are, because you asked."

"It's so... it can help me remember my past" Diane reassured him. "No matter how much the town changes, the park always stays the same."

"Isn't that a good thing? This place is full of good memories from childhood, wasn't it the same for you?

"No" Diane muttered the word quickly that it took Daniel by surprise.

"No?"

"I've always wanted the town to destroy this place. It's become a reminder of my dark past." Diane sighed as she looks back towards the playground.

"Don't tell me our time together in the past was that bad?" he chuckled, hoping he can lighten the mood. "I know I was a bad kid back then, but we were young. You know how boys are."

"No, this has nothing to do with you. I asked you here so I can finally come clean to the things I've done. I...I can't find it in me to marry you without telling you what happen"