Chapter 5. Olivia

It had been almost a week since I had spoken with Ashton and I was still at battle with the thoughts in my head, about the consequences of denying how I truly felt. Trying to convince myself that I did in fact love Michael, and wanted to marry him.
Ashton had been right about a few things, the way that mum had treated me over the years, deserved an expensive wedding. Today though wasn't a battle with my thoughts or my mum, today was just a regular Sunday. A day where things should hopefully be stress free where I could relax for the first time in weeks.

Every Sunday, usually without fail, I would visit my dad. Martin. He was the light of my life in recent months and after all of the hardships growing up, our bond was stronger than ever. Although from the time Michael proposed, up until today I could count on one hand how many times I'd seen my dad; not many.

I sat in the front seat of my red Vauxhall, listening to the radio while I scrolled through Facebook on my phone. Typically I would be thrilled to visit my dad, but with all of the wedding drama things seemed to be all over the place. I thought for a moment before switching the engine of the car off so it rumbled to a halt, the world falling into silence as I did so.

My dads bungalow was well looked after, it had a fresh lick of paint and the flowers that had been potted in the garden bloomed like something from a magazine. The path that directed to the house was free from weeds and any kind of dirt. It was funny, how similar mum and dad were, yet despite this they still managed to fall apart. I knocked on the chestnut brown door, looking down at the mat at the foot of the door, reading 'our family'. It still stung every time I visited this perfect little household, that my dad had married another woman and had two children. Lottie and Marie. My half sisters.

"Hey sweetheart" Martin beams as he answers the door to me; his eldest daughter. I stood their in a pale pink top and jeans, I could act herself around this portion of my family, unlike my mums side, where I had to use the proper pronunciation and dress as if I were from the 1900's. Mum wasn't always like that though, she'd only recently adopted her new mannerisms and home decor since marrying Robert.

"Hi dad" I smile back at him as he embraces me in a hug. "I've missed you" the smell of coffee lingered on his breath and his clothes smelt the same as always; the cologne I always buy him for Christmas. 

"I've missed you too. It's been so long since our last visit" he states, dropping his arms to look at me properly. "Come in I think Angi has put the kettle on, and she's bought the good biscuits" a chuckle escaped his lips as he escorted me through to the sitting room.

Marie, twelve and Lottie, about to turn nine, both of them almost the spit of their mother, Angi. Both beautiful with long blonde hair and blue eyes, they were sweet girls and I didn't have a bad word to say about either of them. They sat in the living room, messing with makeup and dolls, the childhood I should have had, but never.

"So how have you been" I asks taking a seat, looking over at the two girls who dart their eyes up to look at me the instant I spoke, but quickly return to their antics.

"Same old really" my dad replies, sitting next to me "what about you?" He asks, probably unsure of whether to broach the subject of the wedding or not.

"Yeah, I've been good. Just stressed out with the wedding planning is all. People like to think they have an input" I made the comment, meaning both my mum and Ashton.

"Are you almost finished?" Angi interrupts, sauntering through with a tray, placing cups designated for people on coasters along with a packet of chocolate biscuits. "With the planning that is" she smiles, placing the tray down before fiddling with her hair.

"Yes, almost. The only things we need to sort now are my dress and the cake." I pause briefly, before taking a sip of the coffee Angi had just made and stealing a biscuit from the packet "Invites are being sent out next week and I need to get the girls to try on their bridesmaids dresses to make sure they fit" a smile washing upon my lips as I look between my dad and Angi, gaging their reaction to the news.

"Are you serious?" My dad beams at me with delight "they are going to be bridesmaids" he repeats, Angi smiles with him as they look delighted with my decision. They are my half sisters, and I  wanted them to be there. Regardless if I liked Angi or not, it wasn't about her.

"I also wanted to ask you something dad"

"What's that?" He questions, taking a sip of his tea

"I want you to walk me down the isle. Now I know we've had a long discussion about this already, but I've made my mind up"

"Honey, I'm speechless" tears welled in his eyes at the news, he'd been dying to hear for months. "What made you rebel against your mum?" He asks, shock and delight spread across his face almost simultaneously.

"She thinks because she's payed for a few bits that it's her wedding, it's not. Your my dad and I want you at my wedding day walking me down the aisle" smiling warmly at him I take another sip of my coffee.

"Well you're doing the right thing and standing up to her." Angi nods at me. Looking over at the girls "they will be thrilled to be bridesmaids" a warm smile flushed her cheeks. I couldn't tell if this was a genuine comment or not, with Angi you never knew what side you were going to get.

"I have two friends of mine who will be with them the whole time. So you won't need to worry about having a drink and letting your hair down" 

We sipped the remaining portion of our drinks, and caught up on other import aspects of our lives. Lottie's birthday party, and what presents she wanted. Michael and I were obviously invited, and knowing Angi it would be an extravagant affair. Although keeping the subject of my mum away from the conversation didn't last long, and she was constantly a focal point.

I left my dads, roughly three hours later. I was happy with my choice to make my sisters bridesmaids, it went down well with Angi for once. But with things going so well, it was almost easy to predict that something surely would go wrong. It was a wedding after all, something bad had to happen.

I headed up the stairs and rummaged around in my handbag for the apartment keys. Michael should have been in, but upon entering the place I called home, he wasn't anywhere to be found. "Michael?" I call out into the darkness. Nothing.

Closing the front door behind me, and turning on the lights I flopped down onto the couch. Scrolling through my phone to find out where my fiancée had disappeared to.

"Babe?" I bellow down the phone. Hoping to hear Michael on the other end, and to much relief I do.

"Yeah?" He retorts, almost snapping at me. The echoing sound of music in the background, indicated he was in a pub.

"Where are you? I thought you were making dinner?" I ask, a little annoyed. It was just after seven thirty, and Michael has promised to cook tonight since I would be over at my dads most of the afternoon.

"Calum and Luke invited me out. Sorry. You'll have to just make do with what's in the fridge" he was clearly drunk as his words slurred over ever syllable, my blood boiled in anger. How could he do this.

"Fine Michael. Do what the hell you want. But you're sleeping on the fucking couch tonight" and with that I hung up the phone. Pissed off and starving.

Michael did this more often then not. And it made me question once more if I did in fact want to marry him. Or if I should pack all of my stuff up and run from everyone and everything.