Chapter 1

Naofumi aka the Cardinal Shield Hero sat down by a tree as he was exploring through his Shield's interface. As he was looking through them he suddenly heard a branch snap behind him,so without hesitation he turned around shield at the ready.

Once he turned expecting to see possibly a balloon,instead he was met with the body of his once slave now companion,Raphtalia. Soon as he saw this he relaxed and lowered his shield.

"Don't sneak up on me Raphtalia." Naofumi said to her as he sighed.

"Sorry Naofumi-sama,but I just wanted to pull a little fun one on you. Since you're always working on that Shield." Raphtalia replied as she pointed to the shield.

Raphtalia was right,and Naofumi knew this. He had always been working and trying to figure out most things on his own ever since the betrayal by Myne,now known as Slut or Bitch for him. Even when he had bought Raphtalia from the Slave Trader he still continued to work on the Shield by himself.

"Well Raphtalia,how can one continue to protect a world if they don't know a large amount of their weapon?" Naofumi asked her.

Once Naofumi asked that Raphtalia pouted at him then rolled her eyes.

"Guess you're right,but don't you think it would be easier if we went and grinded for levels?" Raphtalia suggested to him.

Naofumi thought about the suggestion for a bit before he sighed then stood up.

"You have a good point. I guess going and getting a few levels wouldn't hurt." He said to her as he raised a hand to his chin.

"Really Naofumi-sama?" She asked surprised.

"Yes,plus since the last wave had hit not to long ago. It would be wise to grind as much as we can before the next one hits as well." He explained as he looked at the raccoon girl.

The raccoon girl looked at him before she sighed then crossed her arms and looked away from him.

"Well if you want to,I wouldn't mind gaining a few levels." She said as her tail was visibly wagging.

Naofumi saw this then sighed and started to walk towards Raphtalia then before she knew it he passed her.

"Well guess we should get a move on and get started then." The shield wielder said.

"O-okay then,but Naofumi-sama we shouldn't be doing it for too long. Remember we also got that invitation for that celebratory party for the success of stopping the first wave." The sword wielder said to him.

Naofumi sighed when he heard the invitation part,he didn't really care for that part. All he cared was getting the awards that the he and the other cardinal heroes were promised. He also knew that going to this event would result into seeing her again. He felt his whole blood start to boil just by the thought of seeing that witch again.

Myne aka Bitch was one of the main reasons why he wants to get these waves over with. The quicker the waves get finished the quicker his ticket back home will be in his grasp.

As he was in his thoughts he was suddenly snapped out when he felt something bite him. He looked to where he felt the biting and witnessed a balloon. He sighed before he just let it go and decided to just leave it be.

He sighed one last time before he looked behind him back to his raccoon girl companion.

"Well,guess we should make use of the time we have before we head to that party." He said to her with his usual tone of voice.

"Yeah,you're right. Let's have a productive time Naofumi-sama." She said with a smile.

After she finished the Cardinal hero then proceeded to leave in search for any monsters to kill and level up. With the raccoon companion trying to catch up with him.

"The quicker we gain levels,the quicker the waves will be stopped,and I will be allowed to return home." The shield hero said quietly to himself as he continued onwards to look for monsters.
___________

After searching for a quite a while the duo had came across a field with enough monsters to help them level up.

The duo then proceeded to do what they do best in combat. With Naofumi defending and Raphtalia attacking the both of them were gaining EXP to help them level up. Before long Naofumi was able to advance to Level 21,and Raphtalia was able to advance way higher than him. Luckily they were reasonable levels. Not too low or too high.

After attacking one last monster Naofumi looked up at the sky and realized the time had come.

"Alright Raphtalia,let's call it a day." He said to her.

"Very well then." She replied back to him as she returned her sword.

After she was done the duo then began to make their way back to their Inn,but before Naofumi could get a hold of the handle he felt a tug on his cape. He turned around to spot Raphtalia had looked at him with confused eyes.

"Yes? What's the matter now?" He asked tired.

"Well,remember earlier? When I brought up the invitation for that party?" She asked with her full focus on him.

"Yeah? What about it?" He asked with tiredness.

"Well didn't you want to go? To get the award I mean." She said to him as she tilted her head.

After she said that Naofumi thought back and he did remember about the whole party thing as well as the reward. He thought about it for a while before he looked at the time on his user interface.

It wasn't too early to attend it,but it wasn't too late to attend either. He sighed once more before he moved his hand away from the knob.

"Very well then,let's go to that party to recieve the reward." He said to her before he walked towards the direction of the location.

"Right Naofumi-sama." Raphtalia said before she hurried to catch up to the green cloaked hero.

As they walked Naofumi kept thinking to himself that maybe going would be a mistake. He didn't have the best track record ever since the setup,but he kept running those thoughts to the ground.

He instead just thought about the reward. That was the only reason why he was going after all. Not to have a fun time,just to collect the reward.

As the duo moved towards the location they both had started to hear audible sounds of music. As they moved forward and forward the music got louder and louder then before they even knew it...they had reached the location.

The duo looked at the entrance and were able to spot many people already inside. The raccoon girl took a couple of steps forwar,but stopped to look back at her Master.

"Naofumi-sama,are we not going to go in?" She asked him with worry.

Naofumi just looked at the inside and just seeing the amount of people inside had caused him to feel uneasy. He still only had one goal for this whole party,to collect the reward.

As he looked he suddenly was brought back to reality when he felt something on his shoulder. He blinked his eyes for a bit before he spotted the something that had made contact with his shoulder.

Instead of just a breeze instead it was a hand on his shoulder,he followed the hand up to the wrist then to the arm and discovered the owner of the hand.

"Naofumi-sama?" Raphtalia asked with worry.

"I'm fine Raphtalia. I think it's time to head inside now." Naofumi said to her.

Once he finished he looked back at the entrance then proceeded to walk towards it. As he walked towards the entrance he kept having this feeling that...

Something terrible was going to happen.
____________

End of Chapter 1

[A/N:Hi guys AGG here to say that I hope you enjoyed the first chapter to this new story that I'm making. This will be a substitute for the Spider-Deku story. (since I'm fighting writers block for that story) So I hope that this story will keep you all entertained. Sorry for any errors that I missed. Have a good day bu bye.]