It's Not Genius

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO!"

"I-I don't know! I just activated it and the whole thing just blew up!"

"A barrier. You were supposed to be creating a barrier. So... HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS SEXY, DID YOU MANAGE TO SET THE WHOLE TRAINING GROUND ON FIRE, AND THEN CAUSE IT TO EXPLODE!?"

"I told you I don't know! And stop yelling at me so I can think!"

"Think? THINK!? Clearly you weren't doing much of that when you BLEW UP THE TRAINING GROUNDS!"

"Oh my god could you please stop? It was an accident!"

"Sensei is going to kill me! There is no training ground anymore!"

"I'm sorry alright?"

"Sorry is not going to put training ground three back on the face of the earth."

"I... I know. I just... Sorry Ero Sennin."

"I told you not to call me that. But it's okay I guess, I know a few jutsu that may be able to fix this. Now c'mere, let's try this again. We'll see if you can do this without killing any more of God's creatures."

'Are you going to stop playing with him anytime soon?'

Naruto's mouth stretched into a wicked grin beneath her mask.

'Oh come on Kurama it's fun to watch the perv squirm.'

'I will admit to that, but there is no way someone could be so incompetent at something unless it's your past self paired with genjutsu. He will begin to suspect something if you keep putting off your own progression. It's been two weeks already.'

'Aww c'mon buddy, just let me play a bit more?' The blonde whined. 'I swear I'll get serious soon. I'm just savoring my chance to be a kid before I have to start taking steps towards tweaking the future.'

'Enough.' The fox huffed. 'You actually have potential for fūinjutsu, so stop screwing around with the toad and do what he's asking of you so he can teach you something new. The longer you play around, the longer he has a reason to be digging around for your secrets.'

Naruto's amusement deflated. Her lips pursed in distaste, and her brows furrowed.

Now in training ground four, Naruto sat over an empty scroll, and had been instructed by Jiraiya to stay there and not leave until she created a storage seal that would not blow up in their faces.

Evening was creeping up on daylight, and the sun's sleepy rays were spilling orange light into the tree surrounded clearing of the training grounds, setting Naruto's sitting form alight.

Ero Sennin had used a doton jutsu to summon a wall to hide behind after instructing Naruto to create a storage seal, and he was peeking out from behind his cover (several feet away), observing the back of the seven year old.

"Why are you just sitting there?" Jiraiya called out. "I've got this sense of foreboding. You're way too quiet brat."

The blonde's nostrils flared in irritation as she exhaled explosively, annoyed by the thoughts her partner had invoked.

Kurama was right, of course. Naruto, with the Rikudo Sennin's gift could "comprehend all universal things". So it's not that she couldn't do a technique she was learning because she didn't understand it, it was simply that she was so young that certain techniques were too difficult for her to do without dire consequences.

She could comprehend the inner works of chakra and other universal elements. She'd inherited such an ability by gaining Hagoromo's power. With it, using these same elements she could utilize techniques to their fullest potential. She could do so without even training with them because she "comprehended" them. Though, comprehending doesn't mean she could explain them to someone, she just knew them. Naruto would admit the ability was one of her most formidable. It gave her the talent to master techniques instantly to levels far above what Jonin or Kage level shinobi were capable of. If she lived long enough to reach her previous life's age, she'd be a difficult foe to face.