Story 4

A chilling breeze ruffles my hair as I walk through the woods, feet cold and muddy. Red and orange rain from the sky, leaves finally shacking loose from their branch. A white fog escapes my lips as I take a breath. The bright moon suspended in darkness, surrounded by stars in the sky. I can just see a few inches ahead of me.

The cold fog of winter hangs low around my feet. The smell of rain, of winter, Is over powering. As the first half of my journey comes to a halt, I can see the warm drifting light of a house. As I move forwards, I see humans through the dully lit window.

I walk slowly around to the back of the house, and straight to a smaller one, this one not meant for humans. My stomach is screaming at me, I must eat soon. Circling the small structure, I find a hole, slowly I squeezed in. the soft sound of clucking echoed through the room. I could smell the chickens from here, my stomach screamed again.

I hesitated, as I heard footsteps from outside. I had to make this quick. I move quickly towards the nearest bird, and slowly moved to pick it up. Suddenly moon light shone down on me, the roof was gone. Above me stood a human. "FOX!! HONEY THERE IS A FOX!!" startled I stood frozen, what is a fox? "honey get my gun" the human called over his shoulder, now that is a word I know, gun.

With no way out but the way I came I ran back, squeezed back through the hole and bolted for the woods. I hear a loud bang from behind me. I kept running, my stomach still screaming. Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow, maybe my children will eat, if they make it that long. Humans can be so cruel.