Story 11:

I stare blankly at the small piece of pink parchment in my hands. I can't believe it. Tears leak from my eyes, and land quietly on the paper. I read it though again, and again. The words echo around my mind, scaring. 

"URGENT TELEGRAM" I never wanted to see one of these. "Rev. Daniel Melrun previously reported missing now killed in action on 12th May 1916". No, this can't be real. Not my son. 

I've seen many families, mothers receiving this wretched pink telegram, their cries echo down the streets, full of pain. I hoped every day one would never turn up at my house. And never with the words 'Daniel' and 'killed' imprinted on the same pink paper.

I slowly sat down, my eyes glued on the small piece of hell in my hand. He wrote to me only weeks ago, talking about how he was, and where he was. his words sounded so excited. He was to be coming home in a year. I read the paper again "Please inform Mother Anne Melrun and convey deep regret and sympathy of their Majesties the King and Queen and the Commonwealth Government". 

They didn't care if one of their soldiers died. They don't care that a mother has lost her son. They never do. They only care that they lost another battle. Another fight. They only thing I can remember my son by, is a small piece of paper with false words of sympathy. I hate this wretched piece of pink paper, I hate this bloody war.