Story 8:

Beep...beep...beep, there goes the heart monitor...beep...beep...beep, endlessly beeping, ever so annoying yet ever so important. I hate that thing, always keeping me awake fearing for when, no, for if it stops. I sigh, the chair of which I have been seated isn't every comfy, but I don't care. All I care about is the figure lying upon the bed next to me. Never moving, forever silent. The figure could be made of stone it was so still, the only sign of life is the weak inhale and exhale of air.

Beep...beep...beep I feel my mind drifting...beep...beep...beep. I sit staring at a spot on the floor. I know I need to sleep, but I can't, not now. I turn my gaze to the figure lying down on the bed, memories happy and sad flood my mind. I've been sitting in this chair for days, all my focus is on the human lying on the bed. I think about how good it would feel to hear their voice once more, to see their eyes sparkle. I slowly grab their cold hand, squeezing it reminding myself they aren't gone yet.

Beep...beep...beep I think I am going to go insane...beep...beep...beep. As I sit here alone drowning in my grief, all I can do is blame myself. This is my fault, all my fault. I tear rolled down my already red and wet cheek. My stomach growled, I am hungry, but I can't bring myself to eat. Not while they can't, not while they are dying.

Beep...beep...beep I slowly stand up and pace around the room...beep......... I freeze, what happen to the beeping? Silence filled the room, I was too shocked to act. The door slammed open as doctors ran in, they rushed over to the bed, circling it. Tears now run freely down my cheeks, my hand shot up to my mouth. I stand in shock as I watched the doctors trying to restart the figure in the beds heart.

A nurse came up to me, he looked at me with pity. I wanted to scream, this is my fault! I shouldn't be pitied but blamed. He slowly walks me outside of the room. The white lights of the hallway are cold, unforgiving. The can hear the shouts of the doctors from beyond the white door. After a long time of sitting and staring at the floor with tear filled eyes, all the doctors left the room.

The nurse turned to me, I didn't hear what they said. My mind was somewhere else, on someone else. I slowly walk to the door and turn the cold handle. I sigh in relief as the sound of beeping fills my ears once more. "hey" said a weak voice, a smile stretches across my tears stained face, it's all going to be alright.