chapter three: fallen

Centuries passed and Man survived on their own.

They grew powerful and wise, adapting in the world.

But not all lived as the Goddess wished.

As love grew so did hate.

Evil bloomed in the hearts of many but virtue as well.

---

She sits alone with her back against the cold prison walls, staring at the faint moonlight seeping through the small window above her. And she misses it—being out there.

Here, she waits in the dark, for morning to come only to then wish for night to fall, so that the days may hurry and pass. Because it's unbearable.

It's a suffering wait.

But Jennie is the one who made this choice.

-----

"When do you want the preparations completed?"

The King shuffles through the mess of papers littering his desk, wondering how he's become so disorganized. He swipes his falling bangs back into place, sorting everything out.

"It doesn't have to be now, just ensure everything will be ready within a week or so."

"Yes, sir."

His lips form into a thin line seeing a report on a supply shortage in one town, a flood in another, and a possible riot ready to outbreak. Just more things to keep him up at night. He puts a cool hand to his forehead as he sighs, exhausted.

And as he continues to examine each paper he tucks away, the falling state of his kingdom is more apparent than before. It forces him to stop and slump back into his chair, taking a deep breath to relax himself.

"What is the status on Father Michael's arrival?" King Shim asks with shut eyes.

"Ideally, our escorts should have the Father here in a week, sire."

His hands reach his neck, clutching the pendant chained around his throat.

Just a bit more time.

"Thank you, you're dismissed."

-----

"At night, when you're alone and I'm not here, what do you do?"

Jisoo questions with raised eyebrows, her eyes sparkled in wonder as she sat on the edge of her seat, facing the girl behind bars. She's always been more curious than she should have and at times it would bite her in the butt. Hopefully, this wouldn't be one of those times. The woman simply tilts her head to the side, twirling her hair around her finger.

Though, she's a bit surprised at the knight's laid back behavior. She didn't quite expect it as she anticipated to be under the watch of, perhaps, a more strict authority upon her arrival. But it was certainly a pleasant surprise.

"There's not much to do, just sleep or think."

And the swift reply encourages the knight to continue on; the grin on Jisoo's face widens, perplexing the raven haired woman.

"What do you think about?"

A strange knight.

"You're a bit of a nosy person, aren't you?" Soft wisps of laughter leave Jennie's lips, she shakes her head and Jisoo finds herself liking the faint sound.