Act 3: One foe closer - One friend farther

Rivendell - Nighttime, 29 August 3018

There was a lot of emotion hidden behind Awarthrie's steady face. Her gaze rested in front of the large plates lying along with the table, inside the chamber that was offered to her. Never in her life had she witness so much green served for dinner. Was she supposed to eat all that? She grabbed a few bites of cheese and an apple, the rest of the green she declined to touch. "By the Mahal*, I miss Erebor. The meals, the caves..." she mumbled to herself. A gentle knock on the door caught her attention. She stepped away from the table and turned, facing the wooden door. "Come in!" her tone low but sharp.

The door opened, and a fair elf maiden appeared. She had long dark hair, and her eyes, a light blue, shined in the little light the room provided. She was holding a wooden basket filled with towels, robes, soap, and slippers. "My lady, I brought you elements needed for your bath. You will find the springs in Rivendell's eastern parts, on the edge of a narrow gorge of the river. In case you need the warm baths, every building provides one in the north parts." the elleth explained as she placed the basket on the edge of the bed. "Remember to put your clothing inside the velvet sack that is provided. I will return to retrieve it. Your attire will be washed and cleaned. And returned to you in the morning. Do you need anything else, My Lady?" she said, offering a gentle smile to the short woman in front of her.

Awarthrie sized the beautiful elleth noting the fine details on her body and face. There was a slight silence inside the room as she walked over and checked the basket. The elves gave her a generous and hospitable welcome. She seemed baffled at their gestures. She always had the worst impression of elves. Indeed she read they were tall, slender, and graceful. It was proven to be true. They have keener sight and hearing than humans and better balance. They were either youthful or ageless. She could not argue; all the descriptions were right.

Wise, kind, and helpful were they not! Mostly allured with their legacy and did not care for the Troubles of others. Though Half-elven, the elves of Rivendell, were different. It felt like her opinion was born of prejudice and discrimination. Maybe she was wrong. Maybe only Mirkwood elves were mischievous and canning shiny bastards. And that opinion was not an unfavorable opinion, but living proof of how Mirkwood treated others and even their kin. She perceived it from a young age. And no-one could alter her assumption.

"Awarthrie," she responded kindly. "My name is Awarthrie. No need for any formalities. Thank you for your help. I do not need anything else."

"My lady, I can't ignore protocol. We have to keep etiquette with our guests. Only family and friends can ignore it. Lady Awarthrie, if you need anything else, I'll be in your service. I'm Camaeneth, chamber and pure maiden of the house of Rivendell." the elleth introduced herself and bowed.

Tauriel's daughter nodded. "Lady Camaeneth then. If it's a protocol, then we cannot avoid it." Her reply was more formal than she expected. "I will inform you, Lady Camaeneth if needed. Thank you."

Camaeneth smiled, bowed, and exited the chamber leaving the young lady to her devices.

The pines were roaring lightly on the heights as the soft breezes moaned in the night. She undid her belts and straps, removing her axes, and softly placed them in the corner next to the bed. Then she simply grabbed against her right leather boot and pulled it off; the left followed. She sniffed the air around her, and she concluded that she had smelly feet. She walked over to the basket picking up a towel, soap, a robe, and the velvet sack. Her bare footsteps felt the cold floor against her skin. She let out a soft gasp as she enjoyed the feeling. Soon she strolled out of her room, down the corridors.