Chapter 10: Prom...Not Homecoming

(Peter's P.O.V)

As Ned continued his research on the Pym particles that brought Melissa here, we all prepared for prom. After the incident with Flash I figured, it's not enough to just tell Melissa I want to go to prom with her. So I wanted to give her a proper promposal. She deserved it, since she can't spend prom at home with her other friends.

Melissa and I always walked from English class to lunch together. But today she walked with Ned, because I slipped out of the classroom before she could see me. The previous day I had asked the marching band for help with my promposal. I sent them straight towards her playing my own Spider-man theme song, which she told me she loved. Each of the band member gave her a rose until she had a bouquet in her hands. Ned just stood next to her, speechless.

Finally, I made my grand entrance. I was in my nicest blue polo shirt and a pair of khakis. I went down on one knee right in front of her and pulled out a ring box. I opened it up to reveal the final rose inside it. She held up her hand to her mouth. Even when she cried she still looked beautiful.

MJ in the background was holding up a sign that said 'Melissa, will you go to prom with me?' She looked at the sign, then at me.

"Yes." She said quietly. "A thousand times yes." I put the rose in her hair. and hugged her tightly. Once we finished hugging, Ned came up to me.

"Good job, man. That was awesome." We all laughed, and then walked to lunch together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a week since my promposal and now it was finally time for prom. I asked Aunt May to rent us a limo for the evening. I really wanted it to be a special night for Melissa. I got on my tux, and had Aunt May tie my tie.

"You look nervous Peter." Aunt May says to me while finishing knotting my tie.

"Aunt May...how do you know if you love someone?" Aunt May's facial expression lightens up at the word love.

"Um, well, if you constantly think of someone all the time."

"Check." I say.

"If you would give up anything in the world for that person."

"Check." I repeat again.

"If you see a future with this person." I grow quiet as Aunt May finishes her sentence.

"Aunt May, I think I'm in love with Melissa."

"Peter, that's great. You should tell her how you feel." Aunt May looks at me wide eyed and happy.

"What if she doesn't feel the same?" I've been worried about that for a while now, but this is the first time I've said it out loud.

"I've seen the way you look at each other. And she agreed to go to prom with YOU, didn't she?"

Just as Aunt May finishes her sentence, Melissa walks into the foyer where we are waiting for her. Her dress is lilac in color. It floor length, and has a tulle layered skirt, with a jeweled top.

 It floor length, and has a tulle layered skirt, with a jeweled top

Her hair is in tight curls and she is wearing lilac heels.

"You look, a-absolutely st-stunning." I stutter at the sight of her. She walks towards me and I give her the corsage I picked out.

We walk outside where the limo is parked. "Wait, Wait." Aunt May comes yelling after us with her camera. "I need to take a picture of you guys." She takes the picture.

"Actually, can you take one on my phone, too. I want to remember this moment." Melissa smiles and looks up at me. Aunt May takes the picture, and then give Melissa her phone. I open the door for her and then get in behind her.

As we are driving to the school Melissa says, "You remember when you were on your way to your homecoming dance with Liz, and you were riding in a car with her father. Who, coincidentally, was trying to kill you." Sometimes Melissa surprises me with how much she knows about me.

"True but that was Homecoming. This is Prom, not homecoming." She laughs at my joke and playfully punches me in the side.

Once we get to the school, it's lit up in lights. We walk through a balloon archway to get to the cafeteria, where the dance is held.

"Wow, the perfect couple. Penis Parker and Melissa." Flash taunts us from across the dance floor.

"Very funny, Flash. And where, might I ask, is your date?" She gives him a look that says 'I beat you'. She's so cute when she's feisty.

"Look, there's Ned and MJ. I'm gonna go say hi. You coming?" Melissa asks me as she starts to head over to them. 

"In a minute." I say to her. I see her walk over to them, dancing to the music as she goes. She is so beautiful. I wish she could stay here forever. Aunt May's voice plays back in my head, telling me to go to her.

I walk up to her. "Hey Peter, wha--" Before she can finish her sentence I hold her face in my hands and kiss her. She is clearly surprised, but kisses me back. When we finally come up for air, I realize that Ned and MJ are still there. They are both giving me a thumbs up and smiling.

"So what does this mean?" Melissa looks at me with those innocent brown eyes.

"It means, I love you Melissa." I go in for another kiss.

"I love you, too, Peter." She says in between our kisses.

The rest of the night was perfect. We danced the night away, and no supervillain tried to ruin it, thankfully.