eight

"Doll.."

Lisa tried, keyword tried, to hide how much she was freaking out. So many thoughts were running through her mind and she wanted to scold her brain and tell her to just stop.

But hell, she couldn't.

So she smiled, or at least, forced out what she thinks is a smile. "Did you uhm, did you hear what I said?"

Lisa nervously tapped her fingers on her lap, glancing at him, and sighing in relief when he shook his head no.

"Why? What did you say?"

In panic, and well because deep inside she wanted to do this for days now, she kissed him. Pulling away, she held his hand. "Happy birthday Kookie."

Lisa swore his smile could've melted her whole being right there and then. He kissed her forehead in return. "Thanks, doll."

She bit her lip, contemplating what else she could say. She truly did miss him, and words can never describe how much. Probably why her stupid ass forgot his birthday though, she's too preoccupied thinking about missing him and wanting him to come home.

"Hmm, what time is it?" He asked, pressing light kisses on her neck. "It's almost seven, l–babe."

Shit, what the fuck, she almost called him love.

Kook looked at her suspiciously, but shrugged it off when he saw the pack of banana milk on his desk. The idiot literally pushed her off of him just to grab the drink, and it made Lisa roll her eyes, in amusement or annoyance she had no idea.

"Is this all you got me, doll? Last year we went overseas, what a downgrade," he teased, pinching her puffed out rosy cheeks.

"Of course not. Who do you think I am?" She scoffed, "but I'm not even sure if I want to give it to you. Not after that thing seems to have your attention rather than this goddess sitting on your bed."

Lisa glared at the damned thing, wondering why Jungkook even liked it. Chocolate milk obviously tastes better.

He chuckled, eyes glinting with amusement. "Goddess, huh?"

"Yeah, got a problem with that?" She smirked, leaning towards him.

And as his lips touched hers in a feather-like kiss, it all makes sense to her now.

She loves him.

Lisa realizes that she loved him since the moment he bumped into her back in elementary school. She loved him the moment he held out his hand and asked her to be his friend. She loved him when he sang to her when she couldn't sleep. She loved him every single time he listens to her rant about her life. She loved him whenever he makes her laugh.

She loved him.

Wait no, scratch that.

She loves him. Loves, as in present tense.

Soon enough, without her realizing it, her tears started to fall. Jungkook sat up in panic, repeatedly asking her what was wrong or did anything hurt. She could only shake her head and smile, which made him squint his eyes and look at her, obviously confused.

Lisa wordlessly stood up, grabbed the paperbag that held her present and sat back down with him on his bed. This time, Jungkook made her sit on his lap, kissing her cheek and carefully wiping her tears.

She cleared her throat, trying to find the words to say. Her brain obviously feeling a bit overworked at this point.

"You asked me earlier what was wrong, and why I started crying. You even asked me if anything hurt and I know I said no," she took a deep breath, "but the truth is, I am hurt."

Jungkook's eyes snapped open, immediately looking her over to see any cuts or bruises or just anything that Lisa was talking about. "What happened? Are you okay? What hurts–"

She grabbed his hand and placed it on her chest, right over where her heart was. "This hurts."

Worry and a little bit of fear were evident in his eyes, so she held her other hand to reassure him. "My heart hurts because it's overwhelmed. The way you make her feel is too much for her to handle. She freaked out, and didn't know what to do that's why it hurts."

She slowly took her present out and Jungkook swore he had hearts as eyes at that moment.

It was a mini-scrapbook, containing their pictures that served as memories of over nine years of friendship. She called it a mini-scrapbook not because of how cute and small it is, but because it's probably not even a quarter of all the pictures they took and memories they made throughout the years.

While Jungkook busied himself, flipping through every page and reminiscing the times they've spent together, Lisa smiled and worked up the courage to tell him how she felt.

"Okay, confession time. I actually forgot that it's your birthday today– but before you scold me or anything, just know that it slipped my mind because I was too busy missing you."

The first page contained a picture of them that Lisa always kept on her phone. They were in their school uniform, back in elementary school, cake crumbs all over their face, with a huge Happy Birthday Lisa banner in the background.

"You are the one constant thing in my life, you know? I'm confident that even if everyone left me and even if everyone turned their backs on me, you wouldn't. I know that you'll always be with me no matter what."

The next photo was a picture they took during a school field trip. Jungkook remembered that it was in middle school. Lisa smiled, braces showing and he had his arms around her, with a huge bird on his other arm.

"You always made me laugh, and made me feel special. Even if I felt like the ugliest and stupidest human being on this planet, you would tell me how beautiful and smart you think I am. You make me so happy, Kook."

The picture on the last page was a recent selfie. Jungkook was smiling, bunny teeth and all, and Lisa kissed his cheek. It was at the airport, a few days prior, when she dropped him off before flying to Japan.

"I'm actually really, really scared Kook. Like shitting in my pants kind of scared," she chuckled as he placed a loose stand of hair behind her ear. "You saw everything right? Every single guy I trusted my heart with left it broken. And I'm terrified of losing you, Kook."

"If I lose you, I lose my bestfriend too and that sucks. My life would suck without you and I can't live like that." After saying that, she sobbed. She literally broke down in his arms, and Jungkook soothed her, caressing her back and softly kissing her head multiple times.

"I promise you won't lose me, doll. I've waited for you for so long, I can't ever hurt you." Jungkook sighed and kissed her knuckles.

"Thank you for this, even though you forgot my birthday," Lisa glared at him, "you came through, doll. In fact, this is probably better than any other birthday I've had with you."

"Even better than when we went to Europe and went biking in Italy?"

He smiled, and hugged her. "Even better. You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because I have you now."

"Oh."

He chuckled at her cuteness. Placing the scrapbook and the remains of his banana milk on the desk, he made the both of them lie down, covered her in the duvet and placed another kiss on her temple.

"Oh, and doll?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you too."