eight

I yawn as I walk towards my cottage. I nod my head at Dearil; he smiles at me as I walk past him. His green eyes shine brightly at me. A trumpet sounds through the air, making me stop in my tracks. Dearil's smile falls from his face as we turn towards the noise and see a messenger angel.

I groan as he lands, the reapers, including myself, move to surround the Angel. 

He stands tall; arrogance rolls off him in waves as he looks at us all as if we are beneath him.

"The Archangels call everyone for a meeting at the meeting arch." I groan again as disgust fills my features; the angels were becoming rather needy.

I feel a presence beside me and turn to see Morana with a confused expression taking over her soft features. "I wonder what they want? I can't remember the last time we had a meeting," She curiously states; I grumble in response, causing her to snort in laughter. "Oh come on, Thana, it's just angels," Morana playfully nudges me as she lets her wings break free, I follow suit, and we follow the rest of the Reapers to the gates of heaven.

I spot every reaper but Bora causing my eyebrows to scrunch in confusion, where is she? 

I don't see her as we land, but my focus quickly shifts from her to the angels making their way to the arch, the reapers follow behind me, and we make our way to the arch. 

Whispers consume the air as the angels excitedly whisper amongst each other, the reapers stay quiet as we take in and observe our surroundings. I spot the archangels as they stride to the front of the stage, I follow their line of sight and place Bora with a soul, and I instantly recognize her. Finally, she died, this time of natural causes. 

Poppy Rose curiously looks around as her appearance starts to change. From an older woman to a young angel. Her hair is now golden brown, and her eyes shine bright, gold like the sun. 

"Why are we here for another soul transition?" Morana quietly asks as she looks at the new Angel in confusion. 

"Thank you all for coming," Raphael shouts, and I tilt my head slightly as I notice the loving look that passes his eyes as he looks at the new Angel. "This is our newest member; she is a Delivery Angel, Avalyn," Raphael boasts excitedly, and I turn towards Morana, who glares at Avalyn in jealousy. 

"Well, now we know why we were brought here," I grumble as I grab Morana's shoulder soothingly. I see Dearil do the same. 

 Reapers had the job of taking souls; Delivery Angels had the responsibility of delivering souls to newborns. There aren't a lot of them, so the angels loved to celebrate it every time they got a new one. Morana was jealous because that is what she wanted to be, but instead, she is the exact opposite. 

Reapers were called based on their life and death. Morana had a perfect life and a peaceful death; therefore, she is the reaper of innocence. She takes young, innocent souls to heaven most of the time. Seeing as there are only a few reapers means we didn't always get what we are called for, but the majority of them are. 

Bora makes her way to us as the new Angel watches her walk away anxiously. 

"Thana and Morana," Raphael calls as he looks our way, Morana steps up first, and I hesitantly follow. I see Michael glare at my actions, but I ignore him. "You are to take Avalyn down to her first delivery, answer any questions she has and protect her from demons," I look at Raphael sideways as I open my mouth. 

"I'm a reaper, why can't another delivery angel show her instead?" I challenge, Raphael doesn't waste a moment in answering me. 

"They are all busy, Everyone else is dismissed," Raphael calls out, and I look behind me and watch as the other reapers quickly fly away.  I turn back and watch as Avalyn shyly walks to us. Her white gown hugs her loosely and flows in the nonexistent wind making me roll my eyes. She pushes a strand of brown hair behind her ear, as she looks at us nervously. Morana, the gentle one, smiles at her and puts a hand out, Avalyn shakes it nervously. "I'm Morana, but my friends call me Mor, this stick in the mud beside me," Morana states as she points to me with a giggle causing me to glare at her as she continues. "Is Thana, She looks mean, but I promise she won't bite." I huff at Morana's words as Avalyn smiles at her.