Chapter Sixty Three: Tyrant

Titania's horrific scream sounded like pretty music to my ears. My face was covered by my iron helm, but I wondered if she could see it in the eyes glaring out its eye sockets. The absolute pleasure filling me to the brim at the sound and sight of her suffering. 

Red flames and black smoke suddenly filled my vision as Titania lunged at me, knocking me to the ground.  Her clawing hands reached for my throat. "Was it not enough that you butchered my first born! You had to kill my youngest too!" She roared, her entire being nothing but flames. Her hair tendrils of black smoke and eyes white, blinding suns within her skull. 

 I caught her hands before they could touch me, weaving my fingers through her own. Her fire went out at the touch of that iron, snuffed out like a candle in the wind. "Get off of me!" I bent her hands back until I heard bones pop and her roaring became a howl of pain. I pushed my foot up between us and kicked her hard in her stomach. She fell back onto her back where Knut waited to sink his spear down towards her chest. The sparking point pricked the skin over her thudding heart. 

"No need to give me any more reasons to gut you like a snared rabbit, hag." He growled.

This was not the Titania I had met all those years ago in Mab's palace, the one that had frightened and awed me in a way that nothing had before. She had attacked me knowing her magic would do no good and there was little strength in her arms. I'd barely felt any resistance when I pushed her back. No, this was not a woman that wanted to fight or even wanted revenge. Titania had attacked me so that I might kill her quickly. I felt an immense wave of disappointment crash down on me. 

"For all your fire and brimstone before, now that the tables have turned, all the fight has gone out of you." I spat, taking back my new sword from the ground. "You're pathetic, Titania. And your end will suit you." I glared down at her. "I will choose when it is time to let you die when I'm good and satisfied. I will not let you force my hand. You will not rob me of this."

Titania squeezed her eyes shut. Her lips trembled as she fought the sobs fighting their way up out of her lungs. "If you are going to kill me then do it. Torture me. Shame me. I do not care. Once it is done, I'll be where they are. "

"Oh, Daphne's not dead, sweetheart." Knut sneered. His eye squinted as he smiled beneath his helm, watching Titania's eyes widen in horror. "She's waiting for you at the pavilion. We came to take you to her."

"She's alive?" The question shook from her lungs.

"For now." I said.

"Can you not hear her? My ears are quite sensitive, so she's as clear as a bell to me. How desperately she's calling for you. Mama! Mama, help me!" Knut mocked Daphne's high voice. "Mama, where are you! She sounds like a helpless baby bird, starving to death in an abandoned nest."

I slipped my poisoned knife back out of its sheath. "Just hold still and we'll reunite you." 

"There's no need for that." Titania swallowed. "I'll go willingly." She turned her head towards the altar where Demetrius' body lay, draped in pure white linen. "Just let me finish his burial. Please...I can't leave him alone here to be burned or left to rot. He deserves better. So much better."

On that, she and I could agree. Demetrius had deserved much better than the life she'd made for him. He had turned out to be a decent man...if a little foolish and too idealistic for his own good. 

Knut let out an animalistic snarl I hadn't heard in a while. "You think you deserve our pity? Your own son had to beg and plead for you to return Magni's body to me! His body was not pristine and perfect as your son's! No, he was bloated! Discolored! Rotting in my hands! Where was your pity then!"