Chapter 28: Becoming One

A/N: Yay! 10k reads! Thank you <3

The night came, and when it came, it seeped into the land, stealing the brightness of the stars with it

The night came, and when it came, it seeped into the land, stealing the brightness of the stars with it. The temperatures plunged, dragging life down into the darkest depths of its soul, forcing all who lived to hide away, to escape its frigid grasp and find comfort in the realm of shelter.

But even the coldest, deadliest temperatures failed to tame the blazing heat inside of Adalia. She was ripped from her sleep, panting and crying out as he lower abdomen knotted in intense, agonizing cramps.

Adalia turned her head, eyes fluttered towards the window in desperation, a futile attempt to try to distract herself from the pain. Her frame was aglow in the silver light of the moon, it traced the outline of her delicate body ever so gently. The shadows the light created pieced a stunning masterpiece together, making the woman spectacularly weaved in the essence of beauty so that she would appear even more enticing to her mate.

The moon's face taunted her with the reminder of her heat."It is time," The full moon whispered to her, the soft voice tickled her ears and only caused her cramps to tighten even more.

"M-Maver," She panted, voice shaky as she tried to wake him, "Maverick."

Desperation laced her words, she fought off the power of lust that was suddenly creeping into her body. Her limbs shook and her body reacted in ways that were unfamiliar to her. And combined with the pain, she was becoming increasingly weak, frustrated, and hungry.

Hungry for her mate.

He awoke to the strong smell she was emitting, but his beast instantly calmed when he heard her whimpers and cries of pain.

Two months had passed and both of them had been aware that her heat could strike during any full moon. Each time the full moon would grace the sky with its presence, they had been prepared.

But tonight was different.

The excitement of the day - the trial, Xenon, the pack.....had all been a distraction. Neither of them noticed the rising of the moon until now.

Her voice broke, splintering the silence. Maverick was quick to comfort her in her time of need - their time of need. He gathered his sobbing mate in his arms, stroking her back and arms gently in an attempt to comfort her. His wolf was going rampant inside him, growling, scratching, wanting to be released so that he could rightfully claim what was his and complete the bond.

Maverick struggled to keep himself controlled, her scent was strong, beckoning his instincts forth to do what the goddess of wolves intended for them to do.

His own body was shaking as he held her sobbing form, deep rumbles escaped his lips as he retained control over himself and his animal. It was beginning to be hard to do so, though, when she was begging him in incoherent words to touch her more, to fulfill her carnal desires.