Chapter 24 Home Again but wait what?

Julia sighed as she left the office and headed straight through the doors. “Why?’ was her only thought, “Why?’ She sniffled and made her way out front before hailing down the first taxi. There would be no time now to go to her apartment or change, she would go straight home and then hopefully figure things out. After jumping into the taxi she sank back and sighed. It would be a long ride and she would never mind taking it home but now she dreaded it. It was midafternoon when she left but now tinges of a darkening sky with a promised sunset began to show. Julia looked at these as her thoughts evolved around her father. She prayed a silent prayer hoping that he was alright at home.

“Mam!” a voice called. She awoke groggily and her eyes found those of the starched shirt taxi driver. For a moment she forgot where she was going until she looked outside. She was in front of the bus stop that she had told him to stop. She cleared her throat and paid before stepping out. Her home was not far now. She had wanted that walk she always took as a girl from school. She remembered in her childhood that after school the bus would pick her up and then drop her off at the bus stop from where she would walk home. She had often had much fun imagining as she walked, seeing invisible pirates and more. She sighed now as that memory slipped away and her feet finally led her forward. There would be no pirates to keep her company for the walk home.

Along the road she walked by seeing her town after the many months since her last visit. “Had it been Christmas since she last visited?” she could not recall. To her it felt like ages. Onwards she went, her gaze roving across the small neatly built bakery with the cupcake sign on top and next to it the old Lemony diner, famous for their lemon bars. She could recall that sweet tangy taste from them. Someone waved at her and her eyes widened. “Mrs. Bentley!” she cried out. The old woman smiled at her from across the road, she was inside the diner but from her smile Julia knew what she always meant, “Don’t you dare leave without a piece of my lemon bar in that tummy young lady!” she had heard that sentence too often to forget. She waved back and then continued on faster now. The sun was setting and the sky was ablaze in beautiful golden and orange hues.

Her gaze turned to the path ahead of her where she strode with purpose. It would be a gift to see her family after so long. Maybe it was the time or the fact that dad had gotten a heart attack but everytime she thought about them now she felt teary. She had been missing them so long that coming home was too much to be true. Mr. Pete’s house came into view and then the driveway. The driveway that she had played in since she was merely a tot. The driveway where her brother Mark had gotten punished for playing tag with her and she had fell and got cut on the fence close to it. She smiled at the remembrance. She was on that driveway now and heading to the door.

Two strides, one and then she was in front of it. She stood there a bit uncertainly at first mainly because coming home after so long she did not know if to knock or just enter. After two minutes of deliberation she opened it and stepped in. “Julia,” her mother’s voice echoed before she was embraced. “Mom,” she whispered, her throat dry. She looked up and held her mother close as the tears racked her body. Jenna came close and lay a hand on her. For the first time after months Julia looked up to see her baby sister. Her eyes glistened. “Where have you been sis?” Jenna asked. Julia sniffled. Jenna had grown taller than the five feet six inches she had last known her to be. Her brown hair shone copper in the light as her eyes like two lights stared back. “I’m here,” Julia whispered before Jenna too embraced her. They stayed like that a bundle of arms wanting the calmness, the comfort that each other provided. After a moment her mother looked up and then wiped her eyes. “He’s been asking for his lil Juel,” she said. Julia smiled at the name and wiped her cheek. Julia started at the stairs before her mother took her hand and they started up.

The house was just as she remembered it. Everything seemed frozen in time, everything except the oxygen tank she noted when she walked into the room. Her eyes widened and unconsciously she walked over to the bed. Her father lay there under a white cotton sheet, his face was pale. She would never imagine him to be like this; to her he was always her big strong hero. Her hands found his and she held it. A tiny smile broke out across her face. His hand was warm and just the hand that had always held hers when they went to the candy store. “Dad,” she whispered. His appearance had shocked her but his hand; the sure assurance of that warmth had given her courage. He moved slightly. She placed her hand on his forehead and then bent and kissed him there. “Juju,’ he murmured. She smiled at his nickname. She thought he would forget after so many years but he had not and it was the first time he had called her that since she was ten, Juju named after her favorite candy.

“Daddy,” she called. His eyes flickered and then a smile came to his lips. “My lil Juel,” he said and she bent down and wrapped him up in a hug. “I missed you daddy.” She stayed; like that before the silent tears came. He patted her back and she stood up. “I’m all better that each of my children is here,” he said. Julia saw her mother smile. “Daddy will you be ok?” Julia asked. He nodded and took her hand. “As long as I have my jewels around me I will be better.” She smiled and her mother stepped forward. Jenna came close to her and then leaned on her shoulder. “I should kick you’re a..,” she murmured. Julia snickered. “You should keep your Kung Fu skills to fight off that horde of boyfriends I’ve heard you’ve been getting lately,” Julia countered. Jenna’s eyes widened and then she teased her. Julia laughed.

“Ju I’ll be up with your father you can go change and eat ok,” her mother said. Julia nodded and Jenna tugged her out of the room. “Soo,” Jenna began, “I’ve heard you been quite a catch lately too.” Julia’s eyes narrowed. “Oh really,” she said, “I never knew. Jenna poked her. “Hey I told you keep those skills to yourself just because you are skilled in it doesn’t mean you have to make my life miserable.” Jenna laughed and threw an arm around her shoulder. “I missed you sis,” she said. “Awe I missed you too Jen bear.” Julia poked her and then ran for her room. Jenna pounded on the door and then gave up. Julia smiled and then sat on her bed. How long had it been since she sat here, or was even present in her room. Her eyes roved around where the assortment of post it’s still sat from college.

She smiled and then opened the draw beside her bed. She had not brought any clothes and to make things worst these clothes had been since college. She dug through the draw and finally pulled out a pair of leggings and a pink strap top. It was not much but it would have to do since Jenna was smaller and mom was more into skirts something she did not feel like wearing right now. She showered quickly and threw on the clothes she had managed to hunt down, a quick brush of her hair and a spritz of perfume that she carried in her working purse and she was done. Without a look in the mirror she headed down, heck she was home and she was going to be au naturel all she wanted. Her feet were almost to the last step when she heard voices and then two figures appeared. Her eyes widened. His arm was around her as she carried the babe. “Awe honey,” he said. Julia stared at them. She was sure that she had not been seen not yet anyway. A smile was draped on his face as he admired the baby. “She’s just like you,” the women in her high pitched voice said. Julia grabbed the railing for support. They walked in closer before he finally looked up, his eyes expanded, “Julia…

****************************

Author’s note

****************************

Hey everyone it’s me again and I’ve uploaded a really special chapter for you all. See I really thought about each and everyone of you and because tomorrow is such a special day for me * cue Happy Birthday* I have decided to give to you a gift as well. So please read, vote comment, it truly will be appreciated and I know that some of you will still want to kill me but still I gave you a gift :p Anyway enough of me going on .. and on I might write a whole chapter just talking to you I just hope that you all are really liking this and if you are please do not hesitate to drop a comment you all are awesome and I would give to you a double chocolate chocolate chip cupcake with chocolate icing and chocolate sprinkles if I could. Thank you so much for the support again :)