suddenly I'm not alone

"Diet coke please." I say, sitting down at the bar. 

"Sure you don't want something stronger love?" The bartender asks, winking at me. 

"Please," I roll my eyes. "just get my drink."

He raises his eyebrows but pours it for me, pushing it over to me so that some of it spills onto the table in front of me. I pretend not to have seen it and take a swig, enjoying the bubbles as they trickle down my throat. 

A guy my age sits down in the stool next to mine. "Vodka and tonic."

"That's more like it." The bartender says, looking my way pointedly. 

I scoff and take another sip of my coke. 

"What'd I miss?" The guy says, looking at me. 

I point to the bartender. "His not so subtle opinion on what I drink."

"Ahh." He says, accepting his drink from the now silent bartender. "Thank you."

The conversation lapses, and as the minutes go by my drink gets lower and lower. I get another one, drinking it just as fast, if not faster. 

I reach for a bowl of nuts, shelling a pistachio and popping it into my mouth. The combination of the salt and the nut itself is mouthwatering. I take another. In my peripheral vision, I can see the man beside me eating his own bowl, equally as fast as me. 

I order another coke, needing something to quench my sudden thirst from the nuts. I drink half of it at once, taking some more nuts and munching them quietly. 

I'm not drunk, but something about these nuts has drastically changed my mood. I went from sullen and moody to laughing at jokes other people tell across the bar to myself. I nod my head in time to the music, smiling to myself. I scull the rest of my drink and eat the last nut. 

I shove the bowl towards the bartender. 

"More nuts."

"More nuts."

I turn to see the guy beside me smiling at me. My face heats up. 

"Hungry I see?" He asks, his accent is strong. 

I shrug. "Yeah."

His smile is crooked but charming. He slaps a twenty dollar bill onto the counter and turns to face me. "How about we stop nibbling on nuts and get something proper to eat?"

"Are you asking me out?" I query, biting my lip slightly. 

He grins. "Only if you're going to say yes. If you're going to reject me then the idea of getting something proper to eat was just a suggestion."

I reach for my purse and smile at him flirtatiously. "I accept your suggestion." 

He holds out his arm and I take it, together we walk out of the bar into the cold night.